Catfish for a Malawi setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmamc91

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Just wondering if there's any catfish that can survive and thrive in the same water parameters? With fish from lake Malawi ?

Just want something other than my Green Phantom Pleco, to keep the bottom quite clean.

Thanks

Emma x

emmamc91 said:
Hi all,

Just wondering if there's any catfish that can survive and thrive in the same water parameters? With fish from lake Malawi ?

Just want something other than my Green Phantom Pleco, to keep the bottom quite clean.

Thanks

Emma x

Synodontis Multipunctatas (aka Cuckoo Catfish) are great, but can be troublesome during Cichlid mating. They don't get huge either, which is a plus for me.

I wouldn't get a catfish just to keep the " bottom clean" they don't eat any poop or anything like that. If there is uneaten food then feed less.

Now if you want a catfish because they are some of the coolest fish ever! I would suggest any of the Synodontis family, they all get along quite well with cichlids and come in a variety shapes and sizes. I personally have synodontis eupterus and find them quite fun to watch.

By keeping the bottom clean, I mean when I feed cucumber and sweet potato, cichlids being very messy, get it everywhere, which is where the catfish would come in, also wanted some that wouldn't be too active at the night time which I've heard isn't good for cichlids...x

emmamc91 said:
By keeping the bottom clean, I mean when I feed cucumber and sweet potato, cichlids being very messy, get it everywhere, which is where the catfish would come in, also wanted some that wouldn't be too active at the night time which I've heard isn't good for cichlids...x

Then like I suggested just simply feed less and the cichlids will go after any scraps left over from the main feeding, that's exactly what my Haps do. I have kept several types of Synodontis catfish with Peacocks, Haps and Mbunas to no I'll effect.

I would suggest synodontis petricola, they are a little bit more expensive than other syno's but they don't grow to big. I have 6 with my cichlids, with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom