Catfish for an oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skorpio94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, am looking into maybe getting a catfish or 2 for my oscar tank (just 1 white oscar on his own). I like the pictus catfish but would like to know if anyone has had any success with this.. (Should also add that its a 250 liter tank with an eheim external canister filter and also an internal filter in there aswell. Thanks 20181214_173332.jpg

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've kept Cichlids with a pictus catfish with no issues

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've kept Cichlids with a pictus catfish with no issues
Might have go give it a try then and see how it goes, the oscar is around 9 inches so id have to try look for a decent size pictus as to not get eaten

Ya as long as he's around 3 inches I don't see it being a problem. They have fight in them.

Great, thanks for speedy response! Hopefully all goes well lol

Pictus are a schooling cat, and get up around 10”. I personally wouldn’t do them for a 4’ tank.

Raphael, eclipse, Jaguar, synodontis, are all better options imo. Provided none of them can fit in the O’s mouth at the time of adding them.

I've never seen one get over 6 inches....more around 5. There is a small spot pictus that gets big but is not common in the trade. The large spot pictus that is common gets 5-6 inches.

Pictus shoal together by nature and a group of at least 3 is recommended but IME they can be kept by themselves. It might not be a popular thing to do but I've never seen adverse effects from them being kept by themselves.

50% water changes every week with a gravel vac and a filtration system with 12 to 15x tank turnover would be my recommendation. I'd also run two filtration systems for more BB accumulation. It's doable IMO.

Back
Top Bottom