Catfish species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidLady0312

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

Maybe someone will know. The catfish is white w spots, freshwater. Looking to put him in my 10 gallon w my yellow lab fry to help clean up the left overs. Eventually into my 75 gallon. Thanks

Probably a Synodontis. I don't have pic but you can use google image. They are good with cichlids but I would not put them with fry until the fry get some size to them. Catfish will eat anything they can fit in their mouth and catfish have large mouths.

I have mystery snails in with my fry they do a very good job.

Probably a Synodontis. I don't have pic but you can use google image. They are good with cichlids but I would not put them with fry until the fry get some size to them. Catfish will eat anything they can fit in their mouth and catfish have large mouths.

I have mystery snails in with my fry they do a very good job.

Called my local fish store and yes its a Synodontis. And the have babies. Will a baby Syn still cause problems?

Called my local fish store and yes its a Synodontis. And the have babies. Will a baby Syn still cause problems?

maybe not but that is a big MAYBE. I would go with snails with fry. The Synodonis will be great with your adult fish.

Just to give you an Idea. My LFS had some cichlid fry that had been born in one of the tanks and when ever I went in I checked on them to see the progress. one day I went there and they were all gone. Only 2 months old still to small to sell I asked where they were. They moved the plant and there was a big fat happy catfish. It had jumped the divider between tanks and ate all the fry in 1 night.

Some interesting info on Synodonis. Its very interesting on how they bread in the wild. They will leg eggs in with another mouth brooders eggs. When the mouth brooder pics up the eggs it picks up the synodonis eggs as well. The Synodonis eggs will hatch first and they will feed on the cichlid eggs in the mothers mouth until she spits them out. This is another reason I wouldn't trust them with fry.

maybe not but that is a big MAYBE. I would go with snails with fry. The Synodonis will be great with your adult fish.

Just to give you an Idea. My LFS had some cichlid fry that had been born in one of the tanks and when ever I went in I checked on them to see the progress. one day I went there and they were all gone. Only 2 months old still to small to sell I asked where they were. They moved the plant and there was a big fat happy catfish. It had jumped the divider between tanks and ate all the fry in 1 night.

This might also give you and idea Synodonis are very interesting on how they bread in the wild. They will leg eggs in with another mouth brooders eggs. When the mouth brooder pics up the eggs it picks up the synodonis eggs as well. The Synodonis eggs will hatch first and they will feed on the cichlid eggs in the mothers mouth until she spits them out. This is another reason I wouldn't trust them with fry.

Thanks for the heads up!!! :)

Some interesting info on Synodonis. Its very interesting on how they bread in the wild. They will leg eggs in with another mouth brooders eggs. When the mouth brooder pics up the eggs it picks up the synodonis eggs as well. The Synodonis eggs will hatch first and they will feed on the cichlid eggs in the mothers mouth until she spits them out. This is another reason I wouldn't trust them with fry.

Synodontis multipunctuatus does this, not all species will do it, in fact, most do not.

Back
Top Bottom