Central/South American cichlid tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramhead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new here and just wanted some advice. I currently have a 55gal tank with 2 male t-bars, 2 male keyholes, 1 severum, 1 blue acara and a firemouth. They are all small at the moment (between 2 -3 inches). I have just brought a 120gal tank. Just waiting for me new filter (fluval fx5) to cycle on my 55gal before I swap them over. I know the keyholes might be too timid but they are the boss of the tank atm, and have got a 50gal community tank they can go in if need be. Would you say my 120gal would be fully stocked or could I add a fish or 2? If I could, any ideas? Thanks

I don't really see any issues with your current stock list unless the Cryptoheros sajicas are a spawning pair, none of those guys are overly aggressive. With regards to the upgrade you could certainly add another medium sized fish or two, as far as recommenations I'm not sure what's available to you down there.

Always stock for the adult size of the fish. With your current stock list, your 120g will be at max capacity in terms of bioload with 1 large water change per week to keep the nitrates below 20ppm. If you add anymore fish, you will have to really monitor your nitrates and expect to do at least 2 large water changes a week to keep the nitrates below 20ppm.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking about getting rid of one of the t-bars, and putting the keyholes in the community tank. A friend of a friend has a female Pearl Eartheater - Geophagus Brasiliensis. Tried looking it up on google and couldn't really find too much about it and what I did find sort of contradicted each other. Any advice if this fish would be ok with my current stock?

rocksor said:
Always stock for the adult size of the fish. With your current stock list, your 120g will be at max capacity in terms of bioload with 1 large water change per week to keep the nitrates below 20ppm. If you add anymore fish, you will have to really monitor your nitrates and expect to do at least 2 large water changes a week to keep the nitrates below 20ppm.

I disagree. All the fish listed are small or medium size and low on the aggression scale. I think that nitrate estimate is completely overblown as well for these fish in a 120gal

I'd absolutely recommend looking into another Cichlid or two, as long as they fit with this group and aren't overly large.

With that being said, I wouldn't a geophagus. They belong in groups and the number you'd ideally want to add would cause issues for your water quality.

I disagree. All the fish listed are small or medium size and low on the aggression scale. I think that nitrate estimate is completely overblown as well for these fish in a 120gal

I'd absolutely recommend looking into another Cichlid or two, as long as they fit with this group and aren't overly large.

So 2 male t-bars at 5" ea, 2 male keyhole at 5" each, 1 severum at 8" , 1 blue acara at 6", and 1 firemouth at 6" is not going to warrant a large water change once a week?

That's about equal to the bioload to 2 12"-14" oscars in a 120g who are only fed every other day.

rocksor said:
So 2 male t-bars at 5" ea, 2 male keyhole at 5" each, 1 severum at 8" , 1 blue acara at 6", and 1 firemouth at 6" is not going to warrant a large water change once a week?

That's about equal to the bioload to 2 12"-14" oscars in a 120g who are only fed every other day.

A 50% change weekly would be fine which is about normal for a cichlid tank imo. If you ask me I'd say your about 80% stocked according to adult sizes and could handle 2-4 fish no problem given the proper husbandry.

I disagree with those calculations as well, personally keeping all those fish (with the exception of the severum) that combination does not come close to the bioload of a pair of oscars.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking about getting rid of one of the t-bars, and putting the keyholes in the community tank. A friend of a friend has a female Pearl Eartheater - Geophagus Brasiliensis. Tried looking it up on google and couldn't really find too much about it and what I did find sort of contradicted each other. Any advice if this fish would be ok with my current stock?

I would look into adding something else in the Archocentrus, Amatitlania, or Cryptoheros genus. Or if your lucking enough to find them Thorichthys maculipinnis would be a great addition or look into adding a couple more meeki.

Last edited:
I always do weekly water changes, and with my new filter it will make it slightly easier, as you can connect a hose and pump water straight out of the tank (after a vac of course!). I was talking to my friend and he is keen on one of my t-bars (sorry for using common names, but my spelling is bad at the best of times!) and as i've said i can move the keyholes. Finding fish here in New Zealand is quite hard unless you want convicts, JD's or severums. All a dime a dozen. But my LFS has said to me that if there is a fish I like and want, they can try get it in for me. Love the Thorichthys maculipinnis, Hukit. Going to see if they could get them in. As for more meeki.......no chance! I'm trying to stick to the peaceful end of the scale and already my meeki is becoming a bit of a bully, and believe it or not, its only the keyholes who keep him in check. As I said before, thanks for all your time and advice guys

I. Love the Thorichthys maculipinnis, Hukit. Going to see if they could get them in. As for more meeki.......no chance! I'm trying to stick to the peaceful end of the scale and already my meeki is becoming a bit of a bully

I have 7 and they are starting to color up nicely and pair off, but maculipinnis are the best looking in that genus if your lucky to find them. One thing to keep in mind abouth the meeki is that they are bossy but it's extremely uncommon for them to actually do any damage, you may seem some slight chasing and flaring but I'd be shocked if there is any fin nipping.

27198-albums9947-picture40907.jpg

27198-albums9947-picture40906.jpg

27198-albums9947-picture40910.jpg

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
I have 7 and they are starting to color up nicely and pair off, but maculipinnis are the best looking in that genus if your lucky to find them. One thing to keep in mind abouth the meeki is that they are bossy but it's extremely uncommon for them to actually do any damage, you may seem some slight chasing and flaring but I'd be shocked if there is any fin nipping.

This is exactly my experience as well. The meeki are all bark and no bite. I have two that team up on other fish and they still don't do any actual damage. With that being said, go with the T. Macs for looks alone! I'm buying HUKIT's ones when he gets bored of them, he just doesn't know it yet.

You have sold me the idea of Thorichthys maculipinnis. They look fantastic. I am going to be gutted now if they can not get them in. As for my meeki, there is a lot of lip locking going on with my blue acara and he keeps both of my t-bars in one corner of the tank. He flairs at my keyholes, but they just chase him away. They take no nonsense from him. Hopefully this will change a bit when they get more room with the new 120gal tank.

HUKIT said:

You have great looking fish, and I'm amazed at your pictures. What do you use to take them?

HUKIT said:
Thanks, I use a Nikon D7000.

I was just looking for a card adaptor for my iPad. The cameras on it and my 4s just don't do them justice. After looking at your pics, I guess I have to step up my game.

Back
Top Bottom