Change in color....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
My jd has been acting normal but seems to be fading in color. Any thoughts?

You are going to have to give out more info than that. How long has the tank been setup? What are the parameters? How old is he?

Tank has been up for about 4 months she is about 3-3.5 in. No other issues

What size tank do you have her in? What kind of tank mates does she have? Pictures of your set up along with the water parameters would be helpful.

My jd has been acting normal but seems to be fading in color. Any thoughts?

Could be nothing to be concerned about, SA fish are babies are prone to sulk for days over a water change or moving a rock. Check your water parameters out to rule that overworked question then discuss diet that's being fed. Sounds like nothing to me this time, just mKe water condrions stay NORMAL,

The water parameters are where they should be. I moved her from her 55 gal where she was living with a lab a blk convict and two blue haps. I took her out before trouble began but she went into a depression like state and wouldn't eat and just floated around so after a month of her doing that I moved her back into the tank where she was and she put more weight on and seemed happier. But now her color behind her fins are faded. She eats and swims like normal just her color worries me. The other fish look great.

HUKIT, is most likey on the right track with her just being a moody. My Mbunas coloring fades in and out all day long.
Plus HUKIT really knows his cichlids.

I do agree with HUKIT and Wendi Dell I have Peacocks and depending on the mood of the fish. I have one that is a brown but will sometimes be a grayish look but is healthy to my knowledge and acts normal. If the water is bad or its not eating worry other than that you should be good :)

You never posted your water test results, that's always the first thing to look at. Second are there any other fish with her? You never mentioned what kind of diet she's on? And last any other symptoms besides color loss?

She was originally in the tank with a lab two blue Haps and a black convict. They were all bought together from the same tank so I thought it was ok. After doing reseArch and taking advice from you guys I moved her ( my jd) out and into her own tank before any problems came about. Since being in her own tank she stopped eating starting floating on her side and lost color. That went in for about 4 weeks so I put the black convict in with her for company and I didn't help. So I pit her back in with the original group and she instantly went back to normal. She put on more weight a d was active again. But now her color is starting to fade again. And she doesn't eat the same. She gets some pellets both sinking and floating and some frozen blood worms on occasion. She also is my only fish that will eat the flakes. When I get home I will repost the water conditions. But the last I checked the ph was at 7.5 and my my nitrates were all little to none. No red flags. In fact no changes at all. The problems only began after I moved her for what I thought was going to help.

Since being in her own tank she stopped eating starting floating on her side and lost color.

This is a sign of swim bladder issues, has this happened recently? A Jack Dempsey is not a social fish that requires or needs company, unless it's a pair so that IMO is coincidental that she was better with company.

No this hasn't happens before. How can I help her if that's what it is?

I would isolate her again, use Epsom salts dosing 1tbls per 5g but slowly dissolving over several hours, and fast the fish for 3-4 days. Swim bladder issues and constipation can lead to Bloat. What kind of pellets are you feeding? Lower quality foods can lead to digestion problems due to poor ingredients, including issues with constipation and Bloat.

Will that hurt her if she doesn't have that issue ?

Back
Top Bottom