Cheap GBR's too good to be true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody!!!

Ok so i go down to my lfs and i see that they have some GBR, its the first time i have seen them there, so i thought they are going to cost a lot, so i have a look at them and the colour they have, i fell in love with them, i then looked at the price, 2 for £3.00 its so cheap its slightly more than a tetra, so i was so tempted to buy them but i did not, i thought i should do my research, ok i have a big enough tank, and the fish i have should be ok with them, correct me if im wrong, tetra's, fancy guppies, 1 dwarf gourami, i have read that they can die if you sneeze at them, i now you have to do the Acclimation very slowly, but i dont have a QT tank anymore so they will be straight in my tank, as i mentioned i have read that they can die within a day to 2 weeks without reason, and one should only buy from a well respected lfs, as you may now, my lfs is not that great, so am i going to be waisting my money, ( at 2for £3.00) or should i take the risk.??

I am open for any comment and suggestion's :)

Take care people

unless you visually see something wrong with them or with fish in associated tanks, I would make the purchase simply for the good price. My LFS sells them for $8.99/each.

If it were me, unless something really scared me about buying them, I would do it.

yes i would. ive still been trying to get mine to live.
i first set up the tank. before i knew how sensiive they were. so they passed on . very dissapointed.
so i got it up and running for a few months. i test my water regularly and its perfect. not any spikes just perfect. so i buy two more. my female passed away this morning.
im just heart broken and bothe times i bought them nothing was wrong pysically, but i guess u just have to take that chance. and for that price its not bad and they will take them back if ur water is perfect. I pay 12.99 each.

Certainly worth it IMO. Acclimate slowly and carefully. I would do a water change before adding them to the tank. Keep an eye on them, keep water parameters pristine and be prepared they might not eat for a few days.

i would go for it as well. If they die within the lfs guarentee, take them back with a water samle for a refund. If your parameters are straight, they will refund your money. And if they live, you got a really good deal! I spent $50 for my six, and a week later, they are all still alive and doing great. I am about to spend $80 on 12 (i realized I got six males from the lfs, so I am buying 12 females from a guy online)

i do remember that you had issues with this lfs, but if they have cleaned up, go for it. And if it falls through, check out aquabid and see if anyone there will ship internationally (remeber, if the auction doesn't say anything, it never hurts to ask)

...this has been bothering me long enough, what is a GBR?

im not a fish newb, but i have no idea what you guys are calling a GBR

I'd go for it. I keep trying to keep them alive, but haven't had too much success so far.

I've got Bolivians and checkerboards in my 30G, where I keep trying the GBRs. Checkerboards are supposed to be very susceptible to water conditions, but the GBRs just die.

Good luck. It sounds like a great deal on the price. I'd buy a bunch!!

hc8719- dont worry about it. my guy does that too. im use to calling them gbrs. lol and hes like wtf are you talking about. and we have had them, owned them and still want them.
and hes still doesnt know what im talking about ...

i do remember that you had issues with this lfs, but if they have cleaned up, go for it. And if it falls through, check out aquabid and see if anyone there will ship internationally (remeber, if the auction doesn't say anything, it never hurts to ask)
Yeah i did, but the manager now gets the fish for me, so the odds of getting a live fish is higher, lol.
unless something really scared me about buying them, I would do it.
i would go for it as well. If they die within the lfs guarentee, take them back with a water samle for a refund
I going to phone them up 2moz and ask were they come from Asia or local, im thinking the local will live and the injected one from Asia wont? Il see i guess i most likely get them, just for the fact that they are so cheap.
Certainly worth it IMO. Acclimate slowly and carefully. I would do a water change before adding them to the tank
Ummm yeah about that, 2day is the last day of me treating the tank with Pimafix and Malafix, the good news is it worked, but it is in the tank, will this shock the GBR? or is big water changes and Carbon and wait a day the answer?

What were you treating with melafix and pimafix for? Depending on the illness carbon and a water change might be ok but if it was infection or parasites I would not put the GBR's in the tank. New homes stress fish and stress makes fish succeptible to illness.

Internal infection, other med's did not work and as soon as i used M&P it went about 4 days ago, what you think Zagz?

IMO I'd wait for 2 weeks before adding new fish. Any chance at all of getting a QT? Or talking to the manager and getting him to hold the GBR's for you?

IMO I'd wait for 2 weeks before adding new fish
Will do wise 1
Any chance at all of getting a QT?
Sadly no i dont have a QT i was going to use my 30 gal as one, but its more fun to have fish in it lol.
Or talking to the manager and getting him to hold the GBR's for you?
Yeah il ask its worth a shot, il ask

and if all that fails, as in if they are selling like crazy ( i have a feeling they might lol ) and he cant QT or hold them, is it worth a try and adding them, or is that just me being selfish and putting my wonts above the fish's health, or should i go with oh well never mind perhaps next time and leave it?

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I do know what you mean about not being able to keep a 30 gal for a QT. I have that problem too. That is why I have MTS. I have a 5 gal I use for QT and a 10 gal that can be used for bigger fish with a bit of moving fish around LOL.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.
K, i wont, il be good this time, lol
I do know what you mean about not being able to keep a 30 gal for a QT. I have that problem too. That is why I have MTS
LOL, yeah to irresistible, i wonder if i can blag some money for a 5 or 10 gal tank form mum & dad lol.

Thanks for your help Zagz :)

For a pair of GBR's, a 10G will be fine. Just make sure it's cycled before getting them, as they are very sensative fish.

Back
Top Bottom