Chemical Parameters for GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaterbeginners

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do I have to know to keep GBR happy?
Like what kind of ph level, kh,gh and all the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemicals

Short answer, keep it stable. Free of Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates under 10-20ppm.

I don't remember the exact guidelines of Rams, I know it's soft, slightly alkaline water, but the water they are raised in/came from could be way different, so putting them from that to their "ideal" could actually kill them.

My Rams are in 7.8ph, hard alkaline water, but that is what they were raised in. They are doing fine.

Keeping it stable and consistent is more important than matching an ideal level, in MY opinion.

Chemicals

Short answer, keep it stable. Free of Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates under 10-20ppm.

I don't remember the exact guidelines of Rams, I know it's soft, slightly alkaline water, but the water they are raised in/came from could be way different, so putting them from that to their "ideal" could actually kill them.

My Rams are in 7.8ph, hard alkaline water, but that is what they were raised in. They are doing fine.

Keeping it stable and consistent is more important than matching an ideal level, in MY opinion.

How to check alkaline? How about nitrite,nitrate.

The API master test kit is one of the best you can get. It last longer and is a lot more accurate than test strips. More bang for your buck.
They also have 6 in 1 strips that test PH, GH, KH, Chlorine, Nitrites, and Nitrate. Then a separate ammonia strip is available.

They also have Ammonia, PH, and Nitrite alerts that go in your tank and give you real time feedback.

These are great for new cycling tanks, but are pointless in an established tank.

Honestly my tap water when mixed with Prime is so consistent, and my tanks are so established the only thing I really check for on a regular basis is Nitrate.
I only check the other chemicals if the fish give me a reason to. (Rapid breathing, looking stressed)

Chemicals

The API master test kit is one of the best you can get. It last longer and is a lot more accurate than test strips. More bang for your buck.
They also have 6 in 1 strips that test PH, GH, KH, Chlorine, Nitrites, and Nitrate. Then a separate ammonia strip is available.

They also have Ammonia, PH, and Nitrite alerts that go in your tank and give you real time feedback.

These are great for new cycling tanks, but are pointless in an established tank.

Honestly my tap water when mixed with Prime is so consistent, and my tanks are so established the only thing I really check for on a regular basis is Nitrate.
I only check the other chemicals if the fish give me a reason to. (Rapid breathing, looking stressed)

Yea. But what is alkali water? Noob question.

Alkaline is a pH higher than 7 (water), meaning that it is a base (not acidic).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

[Q UOTE=Ulrichsd;2934195]Alkaline is a pH higher than 7 (water), meaning that it is a base (not acidic).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app[/QUOTE]

Do you know all the levels of ph,gh,nitrite, nitrate, kh, and all the stuff?

Back
Top Bottom