Chiclids and a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FSEMTB2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does any body have suggestions on any Africans that would do fine in a planted tank? Will yellow labs work? And how should these guys be paired if so? I have a 45 gl bow front with natural substrate and a 40 watt light.

Thanks

It depends on what kind of system you want.
Do you want a lake type one or a african river one it depends on the aquarium.
And yes there are african chiclids that can live with plants without distroying them. You might want to take a look at Kribensis's they are a peacfull chiclid that can live with plants and most of the time breed in the aquarium.

tank

I am just looking to do a lightly planted tank. I do plan to add rocks and such, but just a few plants to off set it. Will the yellow labs work?

I've got an oscar, 2 jack dempsey's and a managuense in a planted tank and they've not messed with the plants at all.

With your current lighting you'll only be able to grow java ferns and anubias, which should be ok with the Africans. They have a bad taste to fish, but some fish eat them anyways...go figure! If you upgraded your lighting to around 80 watts or more, you could add some vallisneria, which also is supposed to have a bad taste. Alot of people have luck with that.

Yellow labs should work. I'd get atleast 4, 1 male and 3 females. If you want more than that you should up the number of females.

I'm going to be setting up a 55g Mbuna tank in a few weeks and plan to have some java fern, anubias, and vals in the tank....we'll see how they do though.

Back
Top Bottom