Chilotilapia rhoadesii ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunnyraven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought my chilotilapia rhoadesii in 8/12 at 2". He is about 6" and only barely blue. He is the largest african cichlid in My tank. I have been told that he may be a protomelas type instead?? Anyone have experience with this? Could he just be poorly bred? He is currently in a 55g, which I am upgrading to 100+ soon!
Ty☺️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 129
I don't believe it's a rhoadesii, the head and mouth proportions look off. Rhoadesii have a very sharply slopped forehead and smaller mouth.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what it is however but I'll do some digging.

Does the fish have some red in the fins? If so I believe it could be Protomelas sp. "johnstoni solo". However more pictures that include the tail will help out allot.

I agree, not a rhoadesii, but I have no clue what it could be unfortunately. Haps aren't my forte by any means lol

Thanks! I thought maybe a protomelas taeniolatus Likoma island tangerine tiger... He isn't showing any red so I think a Red Empress is out. I appreciate your feedback��

Chilotilapia cont.

This pic is better, for fins...he is very shy and as soon as he sees the camera he bolts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 81
After looking online and consulting back and forth with FreakGecko I am pretty positive what you have is a male Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) in non-dominate coloration. It's could however be a cross since it was mislabeled but it's 100% in the Protomelas family.

Back
Top Bottom