chinese algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi, looking for some experience with how well chinese algae eater mix with african cichlids, and if they mix well with pleco, thank you

hi, looking for some experience with how well chinese algae eater mix with african cichlids, and if they mix well with pleco, thank you
Chinese Algae Eaters are docile until they get big. Once they get big they become carnivorous and kill other fish.

My experience with plecos is almost the same as the chinese algae eater. They get big and mean. But there are alternatives such as: (TRUE) Siamese Algae Eater, Otocinclus, Rubber lipped Pleco,

As far as compatibility with cichlids goes: I have no clue.

Last edited:
Chinese Algae Eaters are docile until they get big. Once they get big they become carnivorous and kill other fish.

My experience with plecos is almost the same as the chinese algae eater. They get big and mean. But there are alternatives such as: (TRUE) Siamese Algae Eater, Otocinclus, Rubber lipped Pleco,

i have heard as well as the get bigger they get aggressive, i thought this trait would make them a good candidate from a cichlid tank

I have a spotted colombian pleco in my tank and no cichlid bothers him

I have a spotted colombian pleco in my tank and no cichlid bothers him

i have a gibbiceps pleco in with my cichlids. the cichlids used to beat him up but now hes kinda aggressive to them so they leave him alone

I have one and he holds his own .. I have had pleco too and in my opinion the Chinese algae eater is the way to go.. The one I have is 3 inches ... He doesn't bother other fish but will stand his ground if others try and mess with him ...

I have one and he holds his own .. I have had pleco too and in my opinion the Chinese algae eater is the way to go.. The one I have is 3 inches ... He doesn't bother other fish but will stand his ground if others try and mess with him ...

would you say they are a better algae eater then plecos?

Yes... Again in my opinion they are... I have 100+ lbs of holey rock and he is keeping clean... I have had a couple bristlenose plecos and the algae eater does a much better job.... I also think some plecos prefer drift wood... So for my set up the algae eater works the best... Good luck

Yes... Again in my opinion they are... I have 100+ lbs of holey rock and he is keeping clean... I have had a couple bristlenose plecos and the algae eater does a much better job.... I also think some plecos prefer drift wood... So for my set up the algae eater works the best... Good luck

Thank you very much. Might pick one or two of them up

I have 2 Chinese algae eaters in my malawi tank, both about 3 inches. They do great, way better than a pleco, hold their ground way better than a pleco and look way better than a pleco in my opinion. Never had an issue with them bothering my malawis yet either, but they are aggressive so might be an issue in the future.

Thanks very much. I would get a really small one if get one that's a bit bigger to hold his ground.

Honesty my fuelleborni and trewavasae do more glass and rock cleaning then I see my lazy pleco doing and no experience with the Chinese algea eater

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 5" golden algae eater in my tank. He's very territorial, but I haven't seem him trying to kill anybody. I've heard the best cleaner type for the African cichlids is the thread fin catfish.

There are pros and cons
The pros are that it's a great algae eater
The cons are that once they grow but they suck onto fish and suck they're slime coat off making their immune systems weaker. I'd say don't get one

Back
Top Bottom