Chocolate cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a little 3-4 inch chocolate cichlid I've had for about 2 months. I started out putting him in my 55 gallon
With my beloved tiger Oscar. He was terrified and would hide in some rocks and never come out! So I put him in my daughters 40 gallon tank with some community fish because I read that they are very timid fish
And very seldom will eat other fish! Big mistake in 2 days 2 of my daughters neon glo fish went missing and
I know he was the culprit!! So I put him back in my 55 gallon and took the rock out that he would always hide
In. He's still terrified of my tiger Oscar but acts really mean and agressive to my blood parrot, gourami and
Angel fish (who all get along pretty peacefully) and is a extremely agressive eater!! Lol! I just got a new 75 gallon tank that I will be sitting up soon, should I separate him from other fish since he acts so anti-social?
Or any ideas? He's such a cute little fellow!

i would, i don't know about normal Chocolate Cichlid behavior, but it sounds like a regular cichlid behavior, so yes i would move him to his own tank. good luck!

Thanks for responding to my thread....... I never thought anyone would! I think what I might do is move existing fish over to 75 gallon tank since they all seem to get along fairly well and leave the chocolate cichlid
In the 55. Do you have any chocolate cichlids? Or does anyone on here know much about them?
I'm fairly familiar with cichlids but this chocolate hides out in a cave all day and only comes out to eat!
Any recommendations what to put in the tank with him I hate to just put him in a 55 gallon by himself!!!

Well, you could probably put tetras in there with him... And ummm labs do the same thing, hide all day unless food is there. So ya sorry cant be any more of a help.

Yeah! What's even stranger is he acts afraid of everyone in the tank until it's feeding time and then look out
He thinks he's a tiger Oscar! I'm afraid in his aggression with food he might take a bite of someone!! Once he's done eating though he goes right back into his cave and no one better dare go in there either except my
Giant pleco he runs the chocolate out of the cave, lol!

Back
Top Bottom