Choosing for a community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Electric Yellow Cichlid?

This fish [electric yellow cichlid- mod edit] would look great in my 120 gallon tank. But would it get along with fish like my neon tetras and cory cats?p

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll most likely eat the tetras and maybe even the cories. African cichlids arent community fish.

I agree. The yellow labidochromis would not be a suitable addition to the fish you already have.

This fish would look great in my 120 gallon tank. But would it get along with fish like my neon tetras and cory cats?p

You could look into German blue rams they get along with my tetras and cories

You could look into German blue rams they get along with my tetras and cories
are there different variants or different names people call this fish? It's hard finding that exact name online

Same genus, different species. Bolivian rams are easier to keep. Max size and overall temperament are similar.

. Is there much of a difference between the German ram or the Bolivian ram?

I like the German blues better cause of their color but the Bolivian are beautiful i'm breeding colors

What cichlids, preferably 3-8 inch full grown size would go well together?. I'm thinking yellow electrics, German rams maybe, what else?

What size tank? What's your other stock? What type of filtration? Also Rift lake cichlids will shred mikrogeophagus ramirezi they are far from compatible

What size tank? What's your other stock? What type of filtration? Also Rift lake cichlids will shred mikrogeophagus ramirezi they are far from compatible
. 120 gallon tank. Fx6 and fluval 306. Just some neon tetras but I'm going to take them out

With them gone its a blank canvas. Next you need to decide which group of cichlids you want to go a the and stick to that group. You could do one of the rift lakes, a west African community, new world community, new world with one or two larger aggressive fish.

With them gone its a blank canvas. Next you need to decide which group of cichlids you want to go a the and stick to that group. You could do one of the rift lakes, a west African community, new world community, new world with one or two larger aggressive fish.
. I was looking at demasoni's and yellow electrics. What category would they fall under?

75 gallons is far too small to attempt this with adult specimens, although it would be fine for a growout tank.

I'm pretty sure the op said it was a 120. Now I'm not saying they could do a lot of fish in there but I think the contrasting colors would look nice. Or since its a larger tank another option would be to do a peacock tank with a group of electric yellow labs and a group of another mbuna with a little more peaceful attitude.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the op said it was a 120.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about another thread. 120 is still on the small side IMO, especially if this is the 4'x2' footprint. 6'x2'x2' would be better.

Back
Top Bottom