cichild stock/restocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nenuphar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had recurring problems with fish dying (about one or two every two weeks). Just happened this morning too and would like some advice about restocking or adjusting my stock. It seems like the fish are going after the weaker one in the tank, and when it dies, they go after the next weaker one.

I tried to restock about six weeks ago by ordering some "assorted cichlids" from livefishdirect but now read that it is bad to have too few females. It looks like my tank is mostly males.

I currently have a 125g tank, a canister filter that I clean every 2 months and do partial water changes every 2 weeks. So far, the water conditions seem to be pretty stable.
- 1 adult male livingstonii
- 2 male pseudoflavus (the second dominant male died this morning as well as a male juvenile ~2.5in long)
- 1 adult male socolofi
- 1 adult male red zebra
- 2 adult yellow tail blue acei (not sure about the sex but would guess female)

and now the juvies:
- 1 male yellow lab ~1.5in
- 1 socolofi (not sure about sex) ~2in
- 1 bumble bee ~1in
- 1 maingano ~1in
- 1 black/greyish fish (not sure the species) ~2in

This morning, I also lost a female livingstonii that was about ~3in long

So the question is: do I have enough fish? (I would guess the answer is probably not) and do you have any suggestion on how to restock. Thanks!

I would say in a 125 you could have atleast 20 fish in there.. Spread out the aggression especially with that big of a tank...

sounds like you need a lot more rocks and caves for them to hide in also.

Thanks for replying! I was just warned by the previous owner of the tank about "falling rocks" so have been afraid to stack things in case the fish run into them and knock rocks down.

Any suggestion on the species to add? Here is a bad pic from my ipad. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image-2710296795.jpg
    image-2710296795.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 90
Get different shapes of rocks so that you can make a stable mound or you can even glue (silicone or epoxy) a formation together so that there can be no collapse of the mound.
This definitely sounds like a space problem with the fish not having enough homes so the stronger ones protect the few homes that are available. I've even seen PVC pyramids made out of appropriate sized pipe so that many fish would be in homes while not being able to see their neighbors and not taking up much space.

Hope this helps

Stacking the rocks too high can defenetly be a problem but in your tank you can easily stack them higher... They definetly need more caves and hiding spots. If you make sure the rocks are on the bottom of the tank then you should be fine... But yeah I really suggest more rock...

Oh and you don't have to worry about them being knocked over by them running into them... The main problem would be them digging under them...

Ok, will go get more rocks first then try to introduce new fish. I do have a type of plastic grid (egg crate?) on the bottom of the tank and grind the rocks down so they touch the grid. The fish can't dig under them. Will keep you posted.

Yes definitely stack higher. Just to be sure your water tests ok right? Same was happening to me water was fine yet seemed like 1 by 1 they were getting picked off and I finally had enough and f randomly stacked all sorts of rock and its been good since except for a male killing a male. Here's it currently. No rocks have fallen and its been a year. I don't have egg crate but do for my next tank as its taller so I wanna stack higher!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387410598.228902.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387410610.444035.jpg

Water is ok ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates at 40ppm - and I know, some of you will jump and say that's too high. It's just that the guy who sold me the tank a year ago kept his nitrates between 40 and 160ppm (!). Fish were doing fine.

I just have too many look alike male fish.

Got 4 flagstone flat pieces and some limestone blocks from a garden center for $18 - much cheaper than the petco or LFS. Here is what the tank looks like now. Still have to figure out how to get more caves but it much better.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387418025.875354.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387418042.097950.jpg

Some advice from my experience, try to get the base stones buried to at least be halfway down into the substrate. This will make it harder for them to dig out under them.
Lost a fish before because I didn't put a stone deep enough. Dug out under it and collapsed the formation on top of him.

I'm gonna be the one who jumps you about nitrates. I know his fish loomed fine keeping them between 40 and 160 ppm but I'm sure that caused issues in the long run. It becomes toxic above 20 ppm that is probably why your fish died not from stress from poisoning. You don't have to take my advice but I suggest doing 50 percent weekly water changed it really will benefit the health of your fish in the long run.

Hi Josh7, you were very nice about it. I will keep my nitrates under 40ppm from now on and see what happens. The guy who sold us the tank and the fish said he did monthly water changes. I don't know if he was lying (about how little maintenance a fish tank needs to sell us on it) or if it was really his schedule. In any case, I have been doing them biweekly. The tank is not fully stocked but you are right, I might need more water changes.

Hi Josh7, you were very nice about it. I will keep my nitrates under 40ppm from now on and see what happens. The guy who sold us the tank and the fish said he did monthly water changes. I don't know if he was lying (about how little maintenance a fish tank needs to sell us on it) or if it was really his schedule. In any case, I have been doing them biweekly. The tank is not fully stocked but you are right, I might need more water changes.

Just saying I used to be bad about my water changes (about once every 2 or 3 weeks) but ever since I've done 50% weekly changes my fish seem so much happier and healthier! So jus to let you know.. I agree with josh7

Back
Top Bottom