Cichilid not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franwjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my fish who has always been first in line to eat hasn't touched any food for two days. It looks very healthy and is very territorial. Could it possibly be holding eggs?

image-1220947499.jpg

Anybody have any thoughts?

It's tough to get a good picture. It has staked out a spot under a piece of driftwood and only comes out to chase the other fish away. Is there a way to tell for sure if it actually is holding eggs. I would hate to wait and find out that it was not eating for some other reason.

Should she stay in the main tank with the others or move her? How long will she hold the eggs for. This is our first experience with this situation.

She will probably hold for 3 to 4 weeks.
If you want to keep the fry then move her after 3 weeks or so or strip her of the fry once you can see eyes in her mouth.

How many fry should we expect?
What are the chances if the fry surviving in the main tank if we left her alone?

Thank you for all the advice. It is extremely helpful.

Chances of survival in the main tank will depend on a few factors.

1. How many other fish in the tank.

2. What type of other fish in the tank.

3. How many hiding places ate there for fry.

Chances are even with loads of good hiding spots the fry will get eaten.From say 20 to 30 broods in my main tank only one yellow lab has survived to adulthood.However I have 4 compressiceps (malawi eye biters) in my tank and they actively stalk fry if they know they are there and they always do lol.

Well, this morning she was first in line to eat and ate like a lumberjack. If she was holding eggs she must have swallowed them. Oh well, maybe next time.

Franwjr said:
Well, this morning she was first in line to eat and ate like a lumberjack. If she was holding eggs she must have swallowed them. Oh well, maybe next time.

Well that's good news. Maybe she just stashed them somewhere.

Do they often stash them. Will she pick them back up. We were going to move her to another tank in a week or so to see if some of the fry would survive.

Franwjr said:
Do they often stash them. Will she pick them back up. We were going to move her to another tank in a week or so to see if some of the fry would survive.

My jewel cichlid always stashes hers, so its definitely possible. Keep an eye out, you'll see if she picks them back up!

Jewel cichlids are not mouth brooders and when they deposit eggs they are guarded by the parents on a flat rock or in a clay pot or something like this.
Your Malawi cichlid is a mouthbrooder and would not stash her eggs.She has more than likely swallowed them.Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts before she gets it right so I wouldn't worry too much.

garfy said:
Jewel cichlids are not mouth brooders and when they deposit eggs they are guarded by the parents on a flat rock or in a clay pot or something like this.
Your Malawi cichlid is a mouthbrooder and would not stash her eggs.She has more than likely swallowed them.Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts before she gets it right so I wouldn't worry too much.

Well that makes sense. I had been wondering why she didn't really mouthbrood. Shell pick them up and hold them for short periods but I always see her put them back. Anyway, just thought there was a chance his eggs were hidden.

Back
Top Bottom