cichlid advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdv0002

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with alot of hiding and plants. I currently have a 4 inch female JD, a 1 inch tiger oscar, pictus catfish, and two clown loaches. would an electric blue jack dempsey do well in this enviroment? The main thing im worried about is the larger jack. she usually isnt aggressive at all but i dont know if i can trust her with a near 30 dollar fish. Any advice is appreciated

Im also thinking about adding a bumblebee cichlid in addition to the electric blue. Thoughts on this will also be appreciated

I have 2 oscars, a red devil, a jd, and 3 other large fish all together in harmony. But my fish are very peaceful and are in a larger tank than a 55 gallon. It depends on the temperment of your fish. Maybe add some less expensive dither fish at the same time when you add the ebjd. That always worked to diffuse the tension in my tank. When I added my jd I added tinfoil barbs too and my Oscar went after the barbs for a while instead of the jd.

Your not going to have any more room for fish. A Oscar needs a minimum of 55 by itself( grows an inch per month), clown loaches will outgrow that tank as well but are fairly slow growers. I would rehome the oscar and pictus cats for the moment then later rehome your clowns and pick up your EBJD. Second option pick up your other jack and 150gallon tank and you'll be set.

Back
Top Bottom