Cichlid aggression - I need help to fix this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do know they eat Neons...

They may or may not in the aquarium. But usually not until the Angels are bigger sized.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

If you knew.... Then why suggest it? But I agree with sinibotia as well, i like lemon tetras, but that's just my opinion. And op, I'd look into finding a local fish store, not a big box store, like petco and such. The LFS normally take in unwanted fish.

Sent via echolocation

I do know they eat Neons...

They may or may not in the aquarium. But usually not until the Angels are bigger sized.

I just had my guianacara cf daycra go through 15 Cardinal tetras. They aren't known for eating fish typically, and my largest is only 3". Angels will get larger than that size, and are known to eat small fish. Bad recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you knew.... Then why suggest it? But I agree with sinibotia as well, i like lemon tetras, but that's just my opinion. And op, I'd look into finding a local fish store, not a big box store, like petco and such. The LFS normally take in unwanted fish.

Sent via echolocation

Why not? There is no rule saying it wont work, and none saying it will. Its an option and I'm free to present it to anyone i please. That doesn't mean they have to try it.

If stuff doesn't have a millionth of a chance of working i would say anything... But this is a possibility, even if it has its risks.

I just had my guianacara cf daycra go through 15 Cardinal tetras. They aren't known for eating fish typically, and my largest is only 3". Angels will get larger than that size, and are known to eat small fish. Bad recipe.

Sure. I can agree that it isn't overly likely to work out...

But if you want a non-nippy smaller fish (for a tank that y'all are complaining is barely big enough for the Angels) then Neons and Cardinals fit the bill.

And as we all know, every cichlid is different. He might get some that would massacre Neons or some that wouldn't hurt one at all...

I think regardless a 37 gallon is too little space for a breeding pair of angelfish to share the water column with a school of anything. A 37 gallon is just a taller 29 gallon, so basically the same territory space.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why not? There is no rule saying it wont work, and none saying it will. Its an option and I'm free to present it to anyone i please. That doesn't mean they have to try it.

If stuff doesn't have a millionth of a chance of working i would say anything... But this is a possibility, even if it has its risks.

Hey, I wasn't trying to attack you on your comment or anything, sorry if I made it look that way.

Sent via echolocation

I don't know a ton about Angels, but wouldn't adding a single angel and a schooler be a pretty typical thing? I just remember seeing quite a few with rummynose tetras and whatnot, and that could easily be just a more docile fish situation. I knew it would make the schoolers stay tighter because of the predator. A pair I wouldn't cross into since breeding habits would bring more territorial issues. But i was just wondering since I was thinking of getting one for my 20 long (same footprint but only 12" tall) but didn't have enough space to want to try. I thought that seemed pretty common

I don't know a ton about Angels, but wouldn't adding a single angel and a schooler be a pretty typical thing? I just remember seeing quite a few with rummynose tetras and whatnot, and that could easily be just a more docile fish situation. I knew it would make the schoolers stay tighter because of the predator. A pair I wouldn't cross into since breeding habits would bring more territorial issues. But i was just wondering since I was thinking of getting one for my 20 long (same footprint but only 12" tall) but didn't have enough space to want to try. I thought that seemed pretty common

Oh yeah, a solitary angel is an entirely different story. I had one in a 29 with a school of platys and some kuhli loaches for about a year before I upgraded. It's just breeding aggression that's the issue.

Hey, I wasn't trying to attack you on your comment or anything, sorry if I made it look that way.

Sent via echolocation

Nah i know man :)

Was just stating what i thought, sorry if i made you sorry about you thinking you were attacking me because i seem to have accidentally attacked you.

:)

I wouldn't do it in a 20 long though- it's too short for an angelfish!

Yeah, thats why i never did it. But if it was a more ideal tank i would have so i was just curious if others thought that would have been a bad idea still lol I thought a single angel of a nice colouration would add a nice centerpeice over my larger school of rummynose and soon-to-be panda corries :p

Hey since you guys are all here you might as well help me pick out a pair of angels! I would like to go with just a pair of angels and no other fish. Also - should I try emailing my local Petsmart or Petco to see if they will take my cichlids? They are the only fish stores around for me:(

Hey since you guys are all here you might as well help me pick out a pair of angels! I would like to go with just a pair of angels and no other fish. Also - should I try emailing my local Petsmart or Petco to see if they will take my cichlids? They are the only fish stores around for me:(

Petco takes in fish but won't give you anything for them. As for picking out a pair of angelfish, I would make a separate thread for that. Mostly because a thread specifically about angelfish will catch the attention of certain gurus who could help you find an amazing pair (one of them just did for me)

Petco takes in fish but won't give you anything for them. As for picking out a pair of angelfish, I would make a separate thread for that. Mostly because a thread specifically about angelfish will catch the attention of certain gurus who could help you find an amazing pair (one of them just did for me)

+1 on the new thread
And my uncle has a pair in his tank, and they breed like clockwork, those things are breeding machines, and they are so pretty. Good luck on getting a nice looking pair!

Sent via echolocation

One more thing. Are cichlid sands going to affect PH too much or can i leave them?

Back
Top Bottom