Cichlid behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jandkmcdonald

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a red parrot cichlid and it is acting pretty weird. He is getting himself into tight corners of decorations making it seem like he is stuck. Is he just stressed out? All of my cichlids have been hiding and won't come out sometimes not even for food. I need some suggestions on how to make them comfortable. There are only 5 of them it's a 75g. I took out some decorations to give them more room.
Another thing is that when they do come out it seems that they all stay at the bottom. Are there any fish I can get that would use all the space or will my current fish grow into it? Finally I want to get a green terror. Will 6 South American cichlids be over crowding e tank?

I think your pretty much stocked as it is.

The Jack Dempsey and Texas get pretty big and I think at some stage your Ram will be toast.A Ram isn't tough enough to hold its own in that tank.

You will then have three large aggressive cichlids in the one 75 g.It may work or may not.Hopefully a New world Cichlid expert will chime in soon and help you out there.

That's way too many for that tank. Ram and fire mouths need a different home and probably parrot too. Parrots have a deformed mouth and can't defend it's self. Sorry

I am going to take the ram back tomorrow but I really want to get a green terror! But if you feel strongly that it would be too much for my tank then I might refrain. On the other hand my parrot picks on the other cichlids and kicked them out of their cave!

Agree with everybody else the Ram has no chance of surviving in there, and the parrot might not either. Firemouth will probably be OK.

I have a JD and Green Terror in my tank which is a 63 gallon. They also hid for the first few days and weren't eating well. This is normal behaviour and should settle down after a few days once they feel at home. Both mine are great now, they can become a bit skittish sometimes but are a lot more outgoing now.

Ok, I rehomed my blue ram. I did not replace him with anything so I hope my tank will be ok. Unfortunately I cannot get the parrot fish out to eat or anything. I am getting a little worried about him.

In a 75 u really only have room for JD and Texas. They get huge and trust me you don't want to deal with diseases from poor water quality. Less is more in the long run. :)

Back
Top Bottom