Cichlid Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No idea how to breed them but a good site is cichlid-forum.com , has lots of articles and info. Good luck if you decide to breed them.

20 gallon tank.
Few cave-like structures.
Some water.
One male convict.
One female convict.

They'll take care of the rest. ;)

Voodoo's advice is right on the money. It's hard to keep them from breeding.

Just remember to do regular water changes, keep the temp around 80, and try to feed a varied diet (flakes, pellets, frozen blood worms and shrimp) They will most likely still breed without all this, but will make them look the best that they can

You may want to try a larger tank as well, but not completely necessary. Voodoo just gave the bare essentials for what you need.

Voodoo Chilli said:
20 gallon tank.
Few cave-like structures.
Some water.
One male convict.
One female convict.

They'll take care of the rest. ;)
see, i told you its that easy

if you want good and quick breeding, i would recomend feeder fish for food. they love it.

Uhm, not sure, but do convicts eat feeder fish? I don't have them, just curious....seems to me that they arent big enough to eat feeder fishies.

Billsgate said:
Uhm, not sure, but do convicts eat feeder fish? I don't have them, just curious....seems to me that they arent big enough to eat feeder fishies.
oh yeah, yes sir they do! :twisted: they love feeders. :twisted: some of my bigger ones are so used to their feeders, that they wont eat the flake or pellits. sometimes they go for the bloodworms, but are alway full and fat from the feeders. its funny when you see a smaller one eat one. the feeders tail hangs out of their mouth. :lol:

ok, good news! I was going to do a 30 gal for breeding covicts, but I found a classified ad in the paper for a 46 gal bowfront, with filter, lights, stand and heater for $175!! I would be stupid not to go for this, right?

Convicts are bred so easily that supply is way over the demand level. Acaras are beautiful, just make sure you don't end up with a Green Terror or Jack Dempsey--they are similar in size and color.

I use canisters on all my tanks 29 gal and over.

Yet another tank size update...
At my LFS they have a deluxe kit that includes 55 gal tank, filter and cartridges, lights, heater,free food and conditioner samples,net, and I think thats it. This is the same price ($175 USD) as the 46 bowfront from the paper. I'm almost sure this is the tank we will go with.

Also, if anybody has other ideas for realitively easy-to-breed cichlids, that'd b great.

maybe i'll start with a pair of convicts, and then when they breed, i'll trade them and some of the fry in for a pair of Acaras if the LFS allows that. In the mean time, i'll read about those suggestions, and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom