Cichlid compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have 5 neon tetras, 1 leopard Cory and 2 gouramis, I really like the kribensis, German & Bolivian rams, would These fish be compatible for my tank?

Conrad said:
I currently have 5 neon tetras, 1 leopard Cory and 2 gouramis, I really like the kribensis, German & Bolivian rams, would These fish be compatible for my tank?

I also would like to know if a 94 litre tank is big enough to have a dozen or so cichlids??

Conrad said:
I also would like to know if a 94 litre tank is big enough to have a dozen or so cichlids??

No theyll injure or kill each other that's only 23.5 gals
With your current stock I wouldn't add anything else until you rehome some fish and get it all straightened out

Today I took both gouramis back to the pet store as the male was too aggressive towards most of my fish. I bought male and female gold rams, male and female kribensis and a glass catfish. So far this community is very peaceful which I'm delighted with and also bring a lot of color to my tank.

Conrad said:
Today I took both gouramis back to the pet store as the male was too aggressive towards most of my fish. I bought male and female gold rams, male and female kribensis and a glass catfish. So far this community is very peaceful which I'm delighted with and also bring a lot of color to my tank.

Congrats! I have stuck with just one ram to avoid any breeding aggression. My other stock is very passive. However, I would love to see those brighter colors! Maybe someday. :)

Conrad said:

Hi Conrad.

Just a word of warning. While your tank is cycling it is better to wait for the cycle to complete using some hardy fish such as tetras or danios. Try to avoid adding fish until it completes. Rams can be very sensitive to Nitrites which I don't think youve started accumulating yet due to the age of your tank.

Keep testing water parameters daily using the API master freshwater kit. (do you have this one?)

When Ammonia gets higher than 0.25, or nitrite gets higher than 0.25 or if nitrates get higher than 40 you need to do 50% water changes to bring them back to safe levels.

Jon

Thanks Jon, when I took the gouramis back today I asked the lady at pontarddulais garden centre to test my water and she said its perfect so that's the reason I added more fish today. The rams are much more placid than I'd expect for a cichlid, the kribensis seems more active than the rams so I'm very happy with my latest additions.

Conrad said:
Thanks Jon, when I took the gouramis back today I asked the lady at pontarddulais garden centre to test my water and she said its perfect .

I would highly recommend purchasing your own testing equipment.

API FRESHWATER MASTER TRSTING KIT. Is the standard used by us here on AA.

Did the lady use a testing strip?

Or did she use a liquid drop test?

Jon

She used strips Jon, il get one of those kits tomorrow mate, thanks for the tip.

Conrad said:
She used strips Jon, il get one of those kits tomorrow mate, thanks for the tip.

Honestly i dont think the strips are as accurate as the drops, the api master kit is better than perfect for what you have! They have a reef one as well, makes everything so much easier if you can test it yourself! Good luck

So you now have a pair of rams and a pair of kribs in a 23g tank? Once breeding behavior starts you might experience some issues. Also glass cats are very shy schooling fish. They do much better in large groups of 8 or more. They have been known to die of loneliness if kept alone.

If you thought the Gourami where aggressive, wait until the Rams start to breed! Hell hath no fury like a pair of Rams looking a quiet spot to breed. I suspect Ram vs Kribensis vs the whole tank at breeding time, might be a good idea to get a second tank incase you need to separate some waring factions at spawning time.

Check your temp with the Rams, on one of your previous posts you said it was 22 - far to cold to keep Rams well.

Borderlesscott said:
Check your temp with the Rams, on one of your previous posts you said it was 22 - far to cold to keep Rams well.

I agree.

I have my tank with Bolivian rams set to 26C.

Jon

My temp is now at 26, I found the heater switch lol. Does anyone know how long I should wait before doing a water change after having my new fish today? I've been doing 10% water changes once a week previously, is that still ok to continue with?

There were 3 types of ram at my local store today, Bolivian, German and gold. The Bolivians were not very colorful, the Germans which were the ones I fancied had white spot so they were not on sale so I chose the gold ones, they seem very content at the moment, the Kribs are more dominant and the male krib has taken up residency in the ornament I have. Providing all goes well over the next week or two, I may look in to getting a second (larger) tank as I like my more ferocious fish eg- jack Dempsey, green terror and a certain red fish that I was advised not to mix in my tank by the guy at the store today- I can't remember the name of the fish but it's really nice tho.

German blue rams (and yes, this includes gold and electric blues) are HIGHLY sensitive to water conditions. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I will be amazed to see them live past a week. They do much better in an established and long running tank, then a newly cycled one. Kribensis are fry factories and you will soon be over run with fry. Most pet stores won't buy them back either, or not until they're at a sex able age 5 months plus). You will also run into issues with aggression during spawning. Cichlids of basically all species are devout parents. They will defend their babies to the death! I agree with the other member, have a spare (or a few) tank just in case

There were 3 types of ram at my local store today, Bolivian, German and gold. The Bolivians were not very colorful, the Germans which were the ones I fancied had white spot so they were not on sale so I chose the gold ones, they seem very content at the moment, the Kribs are more dominant and the male krib has taken up residency in the ornament I have. Providing all goes well over the next week or two, I may look in to getting a second (larger) tank as I like my more ferocious fish eg- jack Dempsey, green terror and a certain red fish that I was advised not to mix in my tank by the guy at the store today- I can't remember the name of the fish but it's really nice tho.
I suggest getting a second tank for some of your current residents. That isn't much floor space for 2 breeding pairs. You will have some issues eventually. But, if you got a second 20g tank, you could move a pair into there with some more community fish.
I like the gold rams too. Very pretty fish. Keep a very close eye on the water parameters, they are not generally a hardy fish and it's very common for them to drop dead for no apparent reason within a few months of purchase.

Some of the advice on here is very helpful and I appreciate everyone's kind suggestions but if there are so many issues with all the decisions I
make then is there any point in me having any fish at all? If the issues that some people are raising eg- moving fish to other tanks are right then why wouldn't the guy at the store tell me not to purchase these fish together???? I told him my tank specs and what fish I had, would he have lied to me????? If so then I will not buy anymore fish from any store as I do not have my own knowledge on this hobby and putting my faith and trust in a person who isn't honest is not what il be doing so if my tank don't work then il be taking all the fish back and selling an empty tank. I'm not very happy at all with all this indecisiveness.

You have to remember Conrad.

The guy at the store wants you to keep coming back to buy fish. That's their business.

We here are all about the well being of your fish.

Don't give up REALLY DONT.

You just need to do a little more research before you BUY fish.

Go to your local store and write the names down of fish you like. Then before you buy them check compatibility for community tanks, check water parameters that they like, check if they need to be in a group and if so how many need to be in that group.

The guy at your store could have told you, if he knew, that the gold rams were sensitive to high Nitrates. And also that Bolivian Rams get more colour as they get older and eat a better diet.

image-3265553515.jpg

Please don't be disheartened by the hobby. It's a great hobby.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom