Cichlid diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all I was reading a couple of articles about my new giant, a Jack Dempsey. I got him full grown and wanted to make sure he was keeping a very good diet seeing he is alone in his 38 gallon tank. Basically I want the best for Pimpsmack (his name). I thought about giving him some live feeder fish, but from what I read it seems shrimp interest this guy, and even lettuce, which is far from what I thought. So when I go back to fit the newly made hood and DIY canister filter, I want to at least have the diet part right. What is the best food for him? and what rate or frequancy should I keep a balanced diet at? Thanks all!

Most of the medium-sized South American cichlids do well on a varied diet of high-quality pellets or flakes (I like Omega One) and frozen or freeze-dried foods. You're right in skipping the feeder fish-- Jacks do not need them, contrary to what some people will tell you. I've seen some that will eat veggies and others that wouldn't touch them. If your Jack isn't interested in them, try offering a veggie flake instead. I use Omega One Super Veggie flakes as a staple food for my Africans, but all of my fish love it! :D

Voodoo Chilli is right. Most cichlids are vegetarians by nature. They do take an avid liking to protien rich shrimp pellets and can be trained to eat just about everything. Even oscars like their veggies. Lettuce clouds my tank. I feed my fishies live plants and Algae wafers for their greens. I've seen people use cucumber slices too, though.

best of luck,
lashilia

Back
Top Bottom