Cichlid eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JnessaK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a pink convict egg near in my tank that I just noticed today! ??. I have no experience with convict fry, my question for y'all more experienced folk is should I remove the firemouths that are currently in the tank with the convicts? I did read that convict parents can become a lot more aggressive when they're guarding their eggs. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405975253.630433.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405975264.270445.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would remove them , the convicts will not stop breeding and they may kill everything else in the tank
or if you don't want fry remove the female convict

So I have a pink convict egg near in my tank that I just noticed today! ??. I have no experience with convict fry, my question for y'all more experienced folk is should I remove the firemouths that are currently in the tank with the convicts? I did read that convict parents can become a lot more aggressive when they're guarding their eggs. View attachment 243906View attachment 243907

Those eggs appear to be infertile if they're as white as they look on here

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes they're that white, any clue in when the make will fertilize them?? Or is it just a waiting game on when he feels like it. Lol

They should have been fertilized while she was laying them. Are you sure you have a male? they will lay eggs with out a male in the tank

Yep, I have 2 and only one with a orange/red coloration on her belly. Hmmmm...... I'm gonna have to do more researching.

Yeah, the female will lay a strip of eggs, move out of the way, and the male will come in and fertilize them right away, and then the female will lay more, and the male will do his thing again, and repeat

Ok. Gotcha? I'll check em again when I get home from work with a better light and see if they're white or brown?. But I def have a male and female, these 2 have been hanging around each other quite a bit, and what seems to be playing with each other and chasing each other around. They've also stayed in this same spot where the eggs are all day long. Her colors have also gotten a lot brighter over the last few days.

Those are without a doubt unfertilized and I'm 95% sure they won't be fertilized. First time cichlid parents are generally pretty bad and don't get the hang of it right away, usually takes a few times for them to get the hang of it

Ok! Thanks, sounds like they need practice lol

They sure look brown to me! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406032492.836234.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406032505.104371.jpg

That's bizarre, might be a new batch, but generally they don't fertilize that much later.

Yeah I thought it was a little crazy too, I can home from work this morning and looked at them and they were brown. Maybe my convicts are just weird lol ?

I had a breading pare in my 75 gal the cons would just defend there corner of the tank but never enough to injure any of the other fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom