Cichlid FAQ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All: I am a salty and have been keeping a tank for about a yr now.

I am interested in setting up a Ciclid tank as I would like a new tank and don't think my wallet (i.e. the wife) can handle a 125gal worth of LR for a new SW tank, new Protein skimmer, etc etc, etc etc.

I'm not to interested in a typical FW community tank, I think they are a little boring for my taste (not to insult anyone, just my take). I have always loved Ciclids and the coloration that they can bring to a tank. Plus, my LFS has a nice one setup and has put the bug in me.

I wanted to do some reading for a couple of months (Christmas you know) before buying myself a present. My particular questions have to do with:
1) What equipment and tank "decor" (i.e. types of rock or wood) do I need to get started, i was thinking of a 75gal - 125 gal.
2) Care, stocking levels, and water quality needs
3) Different species and types like Malawi, New World, Lake Vic, etc.
4) Compatibility
5) Budget Considerations (compared to SW)

Any recommendations on FAQ's or books would help me out greatly.

Thanks in advance for the help.

You will most likely want to keep New World Cichlids apart from the others as they tend to be smaller, more dosile, and prefer acidic water parameters. Africans prefer a pH of 8.0-9.0 I think, but don't take my word for it. Which way you chose to go (new world vs. african) will effect what substrate you should have in your tank along with driftwood, etc...

Finatic-

I'm going the other way (been a cichlidiot for years and am now looking to set up a 55g FOWLR). You'll be surprised by how much cheaper the cichlid tank will be. ;)

Most of your questions can only be answered by knowing what type of cichlids you prefer: South American, Central American, African Rift Lake, African riverine, dwarfs, etc. You might need rocks, or you may need driftwood and plants. Substrate is also dictated by what type you get.

Equipment is pretty basic, whatever your choice: a good heater and a good filter (HOB or canister). Some cichlids are really messy; most don't tolerate nitrates very well (much like the marine species, as I'm now finding out).

It's helpful to match species to your water type, but don't let that scare you away from a type you're really interested in, UNLESS you have plans to breed. Most cichlids available in shops have been captive breed for years and tolerate a wide variety of water parameters.

Look around online and see what types you're interested in. I also recommend the Konings book, Enjoying Cichlids.

Most importantly, ask questions. Cichlids can be like a marine tank: if not properly planned out, they can spell disaster and be a huge headache. Taking the time to get stocking levels and compatibility issues correct from the beginning will provide a really enjoyable tank for you and your family.

Voodoo Chili is correct, cichlids can be very nasty if given the wrong environment, even the "docile" SA species.

I am also a cichlidoholic...when given the right environment, they can be the favorites of your tank.

My suggestion, stick to only 1 region when selecting cichlids, and set the tank up around the needs of those cichlids. Don't mix and match.

You mean, I don't need $500 of Live Rock for a 55gal? GREAT! LOL

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll pick up those books and check out those websites.

Now the question is (and I know its subjective) what region/type of Cichlid allows for the most color variety?

Malawi's are pretty cool....

I like Rams myself, but the GBR's are much more sensative.

Also, check out Apistos as well. Rams and Apistos go together well too. They are all Dwarf Cichlids.

Great, thanks for the help. I've been looking at some sites like liveaquaria.com and petsolutions.com and see color variations in most of the types. Now I just need to decide which way to go.

Will do that after I read a couple of books. Christmas will be fun this year.

Back
Top Bottom