Cichlid female holding eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a cichlid question for you guys out there. My largest female kenyii is holding eggs in her mouth. I just noticed it, so I'm pretty sure this is a recent occurrence. As per her behavior ... she is not eating and just sits in one corner of the tank.

I'm wondering a few things:

1. how long til the fry hatch?
2. she is getting bullied around quite a bit ... should I be worried about the other fish picking on her since she's pretty much just sits in one place and bite back?
3. is the not eating normal when fish are holding?

1. she will release the fry between 3 and 4 weeks.

2. as the time goes by she will become weaker and weaker. if she is really being bullied, i would relocate her to another tank.

3. yes it is normal.

i complelty agree with rkilling1. exactly the same answers. she may release the fry earlier if she is in a tank by herself and compltly safe. a 10 gal QT would be good for her to just release the fry then feed her a few times to build her strenth back up then add her bak to the main tank. i am sure she will be back with eggs in less than a week. u can sell the fry to your LFS for money or a credit.

Also, if she is young and inexperienced, she could possibly eat them the first couple of times until she gets the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom