cichlid fry born no eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie reese

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Cichlids fry born with no eyes today he is swimming fine and looks healthy will he still find food and do ok with the other fry plz can someone maybe help out thank u x

The other fry have eyes?

The most humane thing to do would be to euthanize it. Get some clove oil. There are articles about using it... I fortunately have not had to use it since I've bought it.

Sorry.

This is part of breeding fish that must be dealt with.
I have had to cull/euthanize my fair share of fish.
When you breed you take on the challenges and triumphs of mother nature.
The plus is get more fry then you ever see in the wild.
The harder side is their is no nature to cull the 'defective' fry. Not to be mean, and I am far from it when it comes to fish, but a blind fish[in your case] would never survive in the wild. It would starve if it wasn't eaten. That is how it works.
I don't enjoy removing defective fish from breedings, but knowing what I know I could not raise this fish in good faith. I certainly can not sell it! Or breed it...
That is when as hard it is to do I get to say "I improve my lines and have better fish the then rest because I care". I mean cull...:eek:
If want quality fish or a reputation as a breeder with quality fish AND who cares, it takes efforts some can't muster....
Most breeders just have another fish to feed the 'culls' to, but if not few pay to euth a fish, especially a small one.
A small fish can be 'passed' in 5-10 seconds in a chilled cup of ice water....
Welcome to responsible breeding .:cool:

This is part of breeding fish that must be dealt with.
I have had to cull/euthanize my fair share of fish.
When you breed you take on the challenges and triumphs of mother nature.
The plus is get more fry then you ever see in the wild.
The harder side is their is no nature to cull the 'defective' fry. Not to be mean, and I am far from it when it comes to fish, but a blind fish[in your case] would never survive in the wild. It would starve if it wasn't eaten. That is how it works.
I don't enjoy removing defective fish from breedings, but knowing what I know I could not raise this fish in good faith. I certainly can not sell it! Or breed it...
That is when as hard it is to do I get to say "I improve my lines and have better fish the then rest because I care". I mean cull...:eek:
If want quality fish or a reputation as a breeder with quality fish AND who cares, it takes efforts some can't muster....
Most breeders just have another fish to feed the 'culls' to, but if not few pay to euth a fish, especially a small one.
A small fish can be 'passed' in 5-10 seconds in a chilled cup of ice water....
Welcome to responsible breeding .:cool:

Thank u so much I have had over 200 fry today not form the same lol but he is eating swimming fine should I stil "pass" him xx

I would.
If he passes in the tank it is not good for the other fish IMO water quality and bacteria wise.
What will you do with it if it lives?
You should not sell or trade such a fish IMO..
Be happy in knowing you have made more then you have taken and in this world you are WAY ahead of most other people and helping to preserve OUR resources.

I don't sell them I keep them and he is happy swimming this is day too now he is holding he's own and eating will he be ok all the other fish r healthy x

I don't sell them I keep them and he is happy swimming this is day too now he is holding he's own and eating will he be ok all the other fish r healthy x
I don't see the problem is letting him live. I understand the breeding comments but if your not breeding and of he seems healthy (ie doesn't pose a threat of making the others ill) I would let him live his life (he will probabaly get picked on... maybe move him to a lone tank?) we wouldn't euthanise a blind person (back in the day they would be severely disadvantaged bit it's the 21st century...... think of your tank as the 21st century haha)

Back
Top Bottom