cichlid help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie321

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just bout a 29 gallon aquarium im planning on cichlids is argonite sand good for them and what fish also go with argonite sand?

I dint know a ton about cichlids but the only cichlids I'd recommend for a 29 are dwarf cichlids.

You can do dwarfs or some of the small species.

For non-dwarf species, you could look at:
Keyhole
Convicts (not only the black/pink, there are host of options in the cryptoheros genus)
Firemouth (meeki)
Rainbow (Spinoza)

are they ok with argonite sand? cause it will raise the ph? what other fish like high ph? i was thinking some dwarf chichlids.

are they ok with argonite sand? cause it will raise the ph? what other fish like high ph? i was thinking some dwarf chichlids.

Aragonite does raise pH/hardness. Most of the South American dwarfs, like rams, apistogramma, laetacara, nannacara, etc. would prefer softer water. You probably won't want aragonite sand for their substrate. Same goes for African riverine like Kribs.

You could keep Tanganyikan shell dwellers with that aragonite sand, or even some of the smaller Tanganyikan cichlids that aren't quite dwarfs, such as Brichardi (will populate the tank quickly), smaller Julidochromis, or leleupi.

Back
Top Bottom