Cichlid ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've only kept angels, keyholes, and dwarfs so I really don't know much about the larger cichlids, nor can I ID most of them. I'm helping some friends with their tank, which contains these two they think are cons. I thought they weren't at first, being used to the black stripes, but googled them and think these are the pink cons...is that right(had the hardest time getting good pics)? They said they've had them for a "long time" and they are smaller than most of my dwarfs, which I found surprising. What's minimum tank size for them? Does anyone have any experience keeping them in a community? They have had no issues with the variety of fish they keep them with, but I read they are not community friendly.

Attachments

• Picture 081.jpg
    Picture 081.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 119
They do look like cons
I think their minimum is either 30-40 gallons
& if a pair is formed they can get pretty aggressive :x

I got a pink (marble) convict and actually yours look more like severums bud- they're very cool but when your severums start breeding they need pretty much their own tank

Thanks everyone! How long would it typically take these to get full size? Is it wierd that they are about a year old and only a couple inches?

These are in my friends 37g community tank. I'm helping them get all their issues straightened out. ;)

I guess my main concern is giving them the proper advice about keeping these in a community setting. They've had no issues with them whatsoever, but I worry about as they mature. How would I sex them? I assume if they are same sex they are more likely to remain okay in the community? They hang out in their little spot all day moving the gravel around...but they've never seen eggs.

siva said:
Thanks everyone! How long would it typically take these to get full size? Is it wierd that they are about a year old and only a couple inches?

Believe it or not, they are full size. They look like the jellybean variation of convicts which makes sense because most jellybeans are pink convicts. I have a striped jellybean convict and he is stunning and quite friendly (ill post a picture soon). Jellybean convicts are crosses between parrot cichlids and convict cichlids. Jellybeans get to about 2.5-3 inches and like most other CA cichlids can be gentle or plain vicious. My jellybean is my favorite fish in the tank and adds tons of color. They tend to be semi-rare (more rare with stripes) so tell your friend he got lucky :) goodlooking fish!

Back
Top Bottom