Cichlid identification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all! I'm not sure if I can post threads pertaining to my aquarium in general, or if it has to be a relative inquisition, but regardless, here is my tank.

40 gallons
Crushed coral/Aquarium sand mix
200w heater
24(?) florescent light (god it needs a new bulb so bad..)
Aquaclear 50 filter
Eheim HOB filter
River rocks, mopani wood
6 cichlids, 1 gold gourami, 1 rafael catfish

I was just wondering if I can get a "scientific" identification for these fish. Unfortunately I'm limited to a local petco for all my aquatic life, and therefore do not know the genus of my fish. They're kept in a single tank simply referred to as "assorted cichlids." They're cheap, and IMO I found some relatively nice looking ones. Here is a vid, it's not high quality, but if anybody can make something out I'd appreciate it! Comments/feedback are appreciated as well! :thanks::thanks:

Cichlid tank - YouTube

I think the pale one is an orange blossem hybrid maybe

And I think yellow lab but it kinda looks hybrid too with zebra maybe

No cichlid expert but we labeled our tanks the same "assorted" lol

ryan-peddle said:
I think the pale one is an orange blossem hybrid maybe

And I think yellow lab but it kinda looks hybrid too with zebra maybe

No cichlid expert but we labeled our tanks the same "assorted" lol

And yes you can post about your tank in general that's what this site is all about helping with your tank and you helping others with their tanks

The yellowish fish with vertical stripes at 0:14 appears to be a Pseudotropheus crabro (common name: Bumblebee or Hornet cichlid). These are among the largest of the mbuna's, and get upwards of 7"-8" when full grown. Males become nearly solid black. A somewhat aggressive species.

The yellowish fish with black fin markings at 0:18 appears to be a Labidochromis caeruleus (common name: Electric Yellow Lab); usually mildly aggressive.

The light blue one with vertical dark stripes at 0:24 appears to be a Metriaclima lombardoi (also known as a Kenyi). They're generally a hyperdominant (=extremely aggressive) species. Females retain that pattern but males become near solid yellowish.

Back
Top Bottom