Cichlid issues.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical Aquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been having a few issues with my various cichlids:

First I have 3 GBR Runts (about 2", smallest ones from a breeder) in a 20L. 2 males and 1 female. The female is harassed a lot by the males and is almost completely black, with a pink belly and a few blue spangles. Should I try and remove her and let her get bigger and the reintroduce her? Other ideas?

Second I have/had 5 angels I'm growing out in a 29gal, and lost one yesterday due to popeye (somehow he got into a fight....) from the remaining 4, 2 are constantly chasing and attacking each other. Does this mean they're both male or a m/f?
I guess I should separate them?

Check your water parameters, if it was Pop-eye it is usually a water quality issue, otherwise if all is good (dip stick tests are often not reliable- I most of a tank of fish to the test not reading Nitrates accurately), you have a maturing fish issue with fight for the female or fish defending a spawn.

You need more female GBR- they don't like being stressed.

I would pull the least dominant male of the GBR.
IMO the alpha male or the female will kill him in time.
The angels should probably also be separated IMO.
I grow out /keep both for breeding.
If it is your plan to breed either fish then just separate into pairs now/soon...

Thanks guys!

I read up on popeye and it can be both, but bacterial is usually on both sides. The area around the eye was also wounded so I thought it was because of a fight.

@CB, take the male or female out? I'm not planning on breeding any of these, as the Rams are Runts and not ideal stock for a good spawn....

I think I will have to rehome the Angel, as I'm not planning to breed.

Back
Top Bottom