Cichlid kind of swimming sideways?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moofu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a bigger Peacock cichlid, i dont remenber the exact name. It is probably about 5 inches and i think it is blind in one eye. I have a couple smaller cichlid in there about half of his size. They seem to be picking on him but not that bad just kind of fraying his fins a little. Will they kill him? Does anyone know why he kind of swims weird? I am doing a water change now to maybe help. Any info would be great! thanks!

If you introduced just the 1 peacock to a tank full of Mbunas I'm willing to bet they'll kill him no matter his size(depending on his tankmates & their personalities of course)

they are usually really passive, and today its cooled down alot. is the reason he is swimming kinda sideways because he is blind or bullied/stressed?

Could be any of the above, could also be an issue with his swim bladder ~ was he blind in one eye and swimming sideways when you got him?

im pretty sure he was blind but he was just on the bottom when i got him. he was in the tank alone

are fish that are blind in one eye usually swim kinda weird/sideways though?

I have an ele yellow that I rescued with 2 jack and a few others last year I guess... They were in a 20g so I bought it all.... They looked like sardines swi
Ming in filth!! Of course all was un needed of course. Rehomed the jacks after - a few months of r n r ( they were cloudy color n left bright n happy) the ele yellow we named one eye jack... Guess why?? Lol... He swims fine and even has a few kids in the tank:)

Back
Top Bottom