cichlid mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie126

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I can't decide what to put in my 40gb tank..... I will have 3 convicts(2in) 2 female 1 male.... A rainbow shark, and maybe a pair of jack dempseys?

So I can't decide what to put in my 40gb tank..... I will have 3 convicts(2in) 2 female 1 male.... A rainbow shark, and maybe a pair of jack dempseys?

You don't like any of your fish? Tank selection #1 a female con dies from stress or an attack.
Next selection leaves a dead JD and a rainbow shark. I would propose a pair of Honduran Reds or Kanna's with a small plec and call it a day(my way only the plec has a chance to leave in a box!).

Last edited:
Well have 2 females already with the shark..... I want to have breeding fish

You have been told in I don't know how many threads what you should stock relative to your tank size. If you want to breed fish you need to get appropriately sized tanks and pick the right tank mates, if I remember correctly you have been give at least 12 good ideas that would work.

But since you don't seem to want to do research or listen to the experts like HUKIT, then do what you want and see first hand what terrible things will happen to your fish that we were talking about.

Good luck......

Watch out for breeding convicts, they get very nasty when breeding or with fry. They will try to kill everything that comes near their.babies. I would advise a bigger tank or just them in that 40

Ok.... All of you... I'm new to this... Cut me some slack.... I was just offering an idea to see if it was good but it's not..... How about a pair of fire mouths?

40 might be okay...not quite sure, idk about firemouths all that much....sorry :( you could try to google them, google is my bestfriend :)

You are new to this yes and you have been lots of knowledge and ideas but keep posting about the same thing in each thread just with different wording.

IMO firemouth pair needs a 55.

I have no experience with firemouths personally but I think they'd probably be ok in a 40b by themselves, the 40b has a great footprint, it actually has more surface area than a 55, just less water volume.

jetajockey said:
I have no experience with firemouths personally but I think they'd probably be ok in a 40b by themselves, the 40b has a great footprint, it actually has more surface area than a 55, just less water volume.

I agree 40s have a great foot print but wouldn't the FM need the swimroom of the 55 or does the depth of the 40b make that extra width irrelevant?

So no fm...... So what other cichlid can I put with cons that will breed in a 40gb?

In a 40g all id put is the convicts they get to agressive when they breed.

Generally speaking, most fish utilize the horizontal area of the aquarium, so the footprint determines a lot for me. The footprint of a 40b is actually larger than a 55, I had to figure that up when I was putting together mineralized topsoil kits for sale.

A little bit of math, not that anyone doesn't know how to do this already, but since I had it pulled up already I just cut and pasted it.

40b is 36x18 which is 36x18 = 544 / 144 = 4.5 sq ft and a 55 is 48 x 12 = 576 / 144 = 4 sq ft

The upside to a 55 is the depth and added water volume of course, but as far as space goes I choose the 40b every time.

Back
Top Bottom