Cichlid Ph's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do i use?

• Sand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crushed Coral(rinsed)

• Crushed Coral(un-rinsed)

• Gravel

• Total voters
The agressiveness can become an issue because the Yellow Lab's aren't very aggresive. Just be sure not to put anything too aggressive in the tank. In regards to the post about 10-12 Yellow Labs, you could have 8 Yellow Labs and maybe 4 Johanni's. Just be sure to have more female's than males when you have more than 2 of each.

The Johanni's become more aggressive when they are older. When they are juvi's, they aren't as much.

Fishyfanatic said:
Mattrox- I have mbuna's and Peacock's together in the same tank and have not encountered any problems.

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done, just that indiscrimate adding of different fish can be a source of problems.

Also...
Peacocks and Ahlis are not supposed to get along. I never have had them together but a friend who had first hand experience. He had an Ahli turn agressive and shred his Peacock.

Rudy_627 said:
so i can the the

Trio of Protomelas
Trio of Aulonocara
Trio of Copadichromis
Trio of Yellow Labs
4 Neolamprologus Cygnus(juveniles)
2 Julies
1 Syno. Cat
1 Pleco

all in a 55 gal? thats good cause i looked at the pics on google and they are beautiful!

that is what i really want answered

The exact choice is up to you. After you cycle you can't add them all at once anyway, so just add your favourites until there are no more hiding spots.

ok so that coice will live ahppily in the 55 gal???

cause i like all of them and can the plecos live in a higher pH? like up in the 8.5-9.4 area???? cause that seems quite odd, or should i get a special pleco.....

but anyhow that is the selection i am going with, thanks for that site, i really like it and those fish for the 55 gal recipe are stunning!!!!

What do you mean by "2 Julies"? I'm not sure if plecos can tolerate a high pH.

You don't need to bump a topic when it's only been 2 and a 1/2 hours since the last post.

sorry it seemed dead :roll:

but thats the common name

Julies

google it

Pleco's will be fine in a higher pH. But, if you are going to keep Lake Malawi Cichlids, your pH only needs to be around 8.0 not 9.0. The 9.0 is for Lake Tang Cichlids. Just bump up the pH to 8.0 with some crushed coral in the filter along with some limestone rocks in the tank and keep it steady around 8. The pleco will be fine. If you get it up to 9.0, I don't know about that high, but again, you don't need it that high.

ok good so all of those fish will thrive in a pH of 8.0 and alittle higher?

great! i love those guys they are what i am putting in my tank and my mind is set on them

great! i love those guys they are what i am putting in my tank and my mind is set on them

Which ones? There have been many that you have listed and shown interest in.

ok good so all of those fish will thrive in a pH of 8.0 and alittle higher?
8.0 is fine for Lake Malawi Cichlids. I don't know what the effects it will have on a pleco if it is above 8.

Rudy_627 said:
so i can the the

Trio of Protomelas
Trio of Aulonocara
Trio of Copadichromis
Trio of Yellow Labs
4 Neolamprologus Cygnus(juveniles)
2 Julies
1 Syno. Cat
1 Pleco

all in a 55 gal? thats good cause i looked at the pics on google and they are beautiful!

these are the guys i have my mind set on for the 55 gal

2 Julie what??? There are many species. Some more aggressive than others.
You have fish from both Lake Malawi and Lake Tang. You need to pick one. It is best in the long run to house fish from the same origin together and not mix them. I know it's done, but they often have different food requirement, aside from pH preference. You need to do more research on the fish you want and not go by looks. If they rip each other to shreds, they won't look very good.
One of the best sites for information: http://www.mongabay.com/fish/cichlids.htm There are links to pics and tons of information.

well which is from which

which is from lake malawi and which is from lake tang

Back
Top Bottom