Cichlid Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to start a 29 tank with rams, but I want a few more fish to add with them. I can't really find anything out about compatible tank mates. Any suggestions??

I have 2 bolivian rams with Silvertip, Serpea neon tetras as well as Pearl Gourami's and Kuhli Loaches. They get along very (and surprisingly) well with the loaches since they are both bottom area dwellers.

As for the rest there was a bit of nipping in the beginning but the rams stood their ground and now its more of a 'mess with me I mess with you' community. In general they are all one happy family :)

epiphysis said:
I have 2 bolivian rams with Silvertip, Serpea neon tetras as well as Pearl Gourami's and Kuhli Loaches. They get along very (and surprisingly) well with the loaches since they are both bottom area dwellers.

As for the rest there was a bit of nipping in the beginning but the rams stood their ground and now its more of a 'mess with me I mess with you' community. In general they are all one happy family :)

Thanks for the info. I found some rams in our local pet store and I have to have them. Just waiting on my tank water to cycle. Any other tips on rams? The girl at the pet store suggested black convicts??

No.. Rather stick to the rams. Convicts are not very good in a community.

Maybe you can look at some kribs, but territory will be an issue if you keep them with rams.

Harryhorse said:
Convicts r no good.mollies cory catfish eg peppered,julli, panda any tetras,bn,
Thanks for the tips.
So how many are too many rams for a 30 gallon tank. I am about to make an order for 4 German (small)blue, 2 Bolivian(small), 2 pearl gouramis, and an algae eater (albino bushynose pleco). Is this too much for this tank? I've made sure there are plenty of hiding spots for the cichlids. Just don't want my tank to be boring?

Wmc2009 said:
Thanks for the tips.
So how many are too many rams for a 30 gallon tank. I am about to make an order for 4 German (small)blue, 2 Bolivian(small), 2 pearl gouramis, and an algae eater (albino bushynose pleco). Is this too much for this tank? I've made sure there are plenty of hiding spots for the cichlids. Just don't want my tank to be boring?

I think u might have a problem with 6 rams The 4 gbr an 2 bolivians they will cross breed, and 30g might be to small for 6 rams,I would stick to 4 gbrs,I have three in a 35g 1m 2 fm,12 neons 3 mollys 6 Cory catfish 2 bn pleco clown loach,they all get along,it might work just keep an eye on them an u might have to rehome them, good luck,if I can help in anyother way let me know

Back
Top Bottom