Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cichlid - Sandy Bottoms

In my new 75gal. Tank I am planning on using sand.........Any suggestions are welcomed......I use plant and ocean rocks for decor........nitrates aborbed by hornwarts and anacharis, I have hp filter system.....my tank now is great and so have been any other tanks I owned, however I never used sand..............

Old 04-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I would stick with South American cichlids like angels, rams, apistos, discus.... Most central american, new world, and african cichlids will devour plants.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

I'm fine with that....I put plants in so they have plenty of vegetation....I just need to know about sand bottom tanks and filteration for the most part.....my fiance likes angelfish..thank you!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

My favorite sand is pool filter sand.. the same stuff they use in swimming pool filters. You can see that I have it in all three of my planted tanks (links in signature) and I also had it in my african cichlid tank. For filtration, canisters are best IMO for tanks bigger than 55g. While a couple aquaclear 110's would be sufficient, a fluval 405, rena xp3, or some model Eheim would be great.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #5

I agree with that the better the filteration the more productive clarity in the environment.......is that silica sand?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yes it is

Old 04-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

Cool beans....I always thought sand would be messy, untill I started looking around at aquariums with sandy bottoms and notice its pretty clean just wasn't sure how to clean them tho...having beauty doesn't come cheap
Old 04-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #8

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Pool filter sand is around $7 for a 50lbs. bag , so the only thing cheaper would be play sand.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

or, if you're lucky like me and have a Meijer, you can get it for $1.99 for a 50lb bag... I don't think you can get any cheaper than that.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #10

No meijer here......all Walmart now. What abbout that sand they sell at pet shops for cichlids....21$ a bag? I mean don't get me wrong, but has anyone used it?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #11

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I do, I use Caribeas Tahitian Moon black sand in 90% of my tanks. It's nice since there is no rising and the balck really brings out the color of the fish.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That's fine for africans, but sounds like you're going to stick with south american, right? If you go with african, then yeah, that's fine.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

I do African Cichlids, and I like the black sand sounds like the fish will glow!! Thank you for some ideas!

Tags
bottom, cichlid, ich, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com