Cichlid-scape, rock kribs (updated photos)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw some nice looking specimens today, all coloring up nicely. I was actually shopping for some malawi mbuna, but I saw them and thought, hmmm? Anybody know anything about them besides that they are from Lake Vic? What are some good tankmates? Aulonocara or Peacocks I'd guess...

Also, this is the new scape in the 55 gal, tell me what ya think? It is my first all hard scape, I may put in some moss and anubias among the rocks. All barren looking, compared to my other tanks! But it should be a breeze to clean. All rocks are stacked on styrofoam, before I laid the sand so little diggers won't get crushed.

Attachments

• 55gal2_145.jpg
    55gal2_145.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 134
I've seen some hardscapes on here with pretty good sized stacks of rounded type rock like that in the corner(s), and it looked neat. Might want to givet hat a shot. Just my opinion though. I'm not a cichlid keeper, but I'm pretty sure they like to sprint around rocks and hide in them so I think the stacks in the corners would give them some hiding spots.

Gillie, I love the pundamilia... I am considering them. Know anyone who sells them? Cichlid exchange, maybe?

Black Hills, I have seen those layouts, but in this case I am thinking if I don't give them too much real estate to claim there will be less territory squabbles. That and I want to be able to vacuum the tank in about five minutes. So no corner stacks :p

It's hard to do corner layouts with a long skinny tank. It works really good with a deeper tank (which is why I am lookin for a 40 breeder). In person, the rocks in the photo look much bigger and more dramatic.

I've kept the rock kribs and really enjoyed them. They aren't the most docile or aggressive African species, so you could keep them with the vast majority of species that fall somewhere in between.

Good water quality and diet will yield lots of fry. ;)

Good luck!

Got my fish today! I bought 6 juvie Rock Kribs. I know I have 2 males, but I am on the fence about one of the smaller fish, I may have 3 m and 3 f... These guys are amazing!!! They were almost spawning in the PLASTIC BAG as I was acclimating them. I swear within twelve minutes of being released the males were flashing, shimmying, squaring off, etc. and they are still small. The males change colors/stripes like a chameleon. I took pictures, but they won't sit still, naturally. Here is the best I could do. The male in the photo is not even colored up to his potential in this shot. He is definitely the dominant one. The good thing is they don't brawl, they just chase each other sometimes. Most of the time, all 6 hang out in a school. I am on the hunt for suitable tankmates, I think I wanna keep it all about the Africans from the "other" lakes. They are cool.

Gillie, what is that fish in your avatar?

Attachments

• rockkribs_137.jpg
    rockkribs_137.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 110
Great lookin fish you got there Sicklid. The fish in my avatar are Apistogramma Viejita 'red' one of the many Apistos on my very very long wishlist.

Those are quite the lookers, Gillie... They sure are beautiful. I have another question for you: have you actually kept Pundamilia or Zebra Obliq. and Rock Kribs in the same system? I tried to buy some from wetthumbaq. and they warned against it, saying that all Vic species will interbreed too easily. I really want a second species if not a third but I can not find info on the subject anywhere, other than the hybridizing thing... If I am not planning on selling fry or releasing them back into Lake Victoria (or any lake for that matter) what is the problem? I don't see how a single male with a harem of his own females at his disposal would try to breed with another species female (that probably sounds idiotic, I know). But I was just asking since you are one of the only people to respond with a reply to my original question and it seems like you have kept Lake Vic cichlids.

Sorry forgot to ask you about that. I have kept them together, but unless I plan on breeding I keep males only, so I don't have spawning aggression or interbreeding.

Aha... I figured as much. I am perfectly content to keep this a species tank. I wonder about dithers?

Update, I put in nine juvenile Astatotilapia Latifasciata from Dave in Texas. A little skinny, but they all seem to be doing great... the "biggest" little male colored up almost instantly, and a second one is staking his own little territory. I was worried that since I already had a dominant male "something" in the tank none of the new fish would display well, but after about a half an hour of checking each other out the rock kribs and the zebras went their own ways...

I also added some driftwood I had and some plants: Java Fern, Jungle Val, and Java Moss tied to flat rocks. Here is a photo before I added the new fish:

Attachments

• 55gal_210.jpg
    55gal_210.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 50
Nice, it's simple and looks great. I don't really like tanks that look like too much time and thought was put into decor placement (whether it happened that way or not) I think it takes away the natural look.

Dude, awesome tank. What is that background? My cichlid tank would probably look as nice as yours if it wasn't for annoying brown algae :evil:

I see it's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks guys!

Aww, c'mon Gillie, does this mean I can't put in those "Pirates of the Carribean" decorations I got from the Dr's Foster & Smith catalogue? :lol:

Marconis, I have only just cycled this tank, so diatom blooms are on the way I am sure :wink:

I put in Malaysian Trumpet snails, they seem to do a good job at eating the brown stuff in my other planted tank. The background is a paint called One-Shot, it is used primarily for the sign industry. It is really opaque and meant to cover in "one shot" or one coat, super durable. But it is expensive and it contains lead like the old school paints, and it is some stinky stuff... if anyone uses it be careful not to get it in your tank. This is the first tank I have done with a blue background, I always had black before. It is actually a custom mix of a carribean blue, pearl white, and titanium white. Glad you like it! They sell it at Pearl arts and crafts, there is one on Long Island if I remember correctly. I am in the sign business so I had it already.

I think I am pretty much done with the scape, I don't want to detract too much from the fish in this one.

Back
Top Bottom