cichlid stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cflux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of cycling (fishless) a new 20H that will be a planted tank. So as I am waiting to the cycle to finish I was trying to decide on what to stock it with. I am thinking that I want to try a cichlid tank, it would be my first cichlid tank so I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but wat I wanted to know is what would you suggest for fairly easy to care for cichlids that would do well in a 20h. I would prefer a few large fish to many small fish but that's not a real requirement.

Anyway thanks for a the help.

Well, a planted cichlid tank would naturally mean a couple of angels, or some rams or apistos (last two are smallish so maybe not what you are looking for). Two angels would be very happy in a 20H, and especially a pair.

What kind of water do you have there in Portland? (I am going to assume it is hard, but that's a broad assumption) If it is hard, you could grow java fern and valisneria and keep some N. brichardi, though there are other options.

angles would be intereseting, any good sites that I could look at for their care and environment needs? and yes I do have hard water. also if I had a pair of angles what other fish would be sutiable for the tank, a small species of pleco? other alge eaters?

Thanks

Your twenty would be too small to house a pair of angels and a plec: if you feel the need to add an algae eater, why not go with ottos?

I'd start out with about six small angels and let them grow out until a pair forms. Then you can take the others back and hopefully deal with the joys of breeding cichlids!:)

Back
Top Bottom