Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neontetra0131

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to make a tank similar to this what kind of rocks can I use? Can I get any from Home Depot or lowes and break them to make something like this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400364963.211791.jpg

I would go to a lawn and garden store that sells bulk rock for landscaping. I got some real nice black slate from my local for .49 a pound.

Worked for me. Clean them really good. Mine had a ton of grit on them. Black in color and are about an inch thick. Can't remember the kinda slate it was but it was cheap. I read somewhere u can by sandstone pavers and break them up but I wanted more natural looking rock.

Boil? For about how long

I am no Rock expert but DO NOT Boil rocks!

there could be a gas buildup inside that when boiled causes the rock to explode.

Now, from what I have read on here, you can pour boiling water over the rocks. You can brush them off with a clean brush, you can pout vinegar or Peroxide (that last might not be correct) and see if it bubbles to know if it is inert or fine for tanks.

Vinegar poured over rocks will tell you if they're safe or not. If it bubbles, DON'T USE. if it doesn't, it's safe.

You can go to home depot, Lowes or any other store that sells landscape rocks. Just wash well. I would suggest a bleach wash.

Soak in 1 part bleach, 4 parts water. Bleach evaporates so just let it dry completely and it'll be safe. Same goes with any wood you find/use.

I've done this in the past and know by experience that it'll be ok :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If they bubble when you pour vinegar on them it means some type of chemical has been used on or around them. You can wash well and try vinegar again to see if you got it completely clean. It's not very often that you'll find an "UN safe" rock. Most the rocks you find or buy from the hardware/garden store will be fine after a good wash.

There are several methods to cleaning aquarium decor whether you choose to bleach bathe, boil or just a real thorough rinse.

Just remember, fish come from the wild and are used to most of natures elements so don't be to hard on yourself. Steer clear of metals and chemicals and you should be fine.

I have pea gravel in my aquarium that came from home depots garden section, pots from their garden section, and rocks and wood that I've found at parks and by a near by creek. I boiled some and bleach bathed some and all my fish are fine. :)

Your a bit off on the vinegar test, if it bubbles it simply means it will likely raise your ph. This is not always a bad thing, especially in a cichlid tank as some cichlids require a higher pH. As far as using landscape rock, you can use hydrogen peroxide or bleach to disinfect, then soak in heavy dechlironator solution, I usually just soak in a bucket for a day then pour boiling water over them and let them sit for a little bit..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh, ok. I was told vinegar reacts to certain elements found in rocks/stones and it reacts to certain chemicals as well. The natural Ph level in my cities water is right where it should be for cichlids (7.6-8.0 Ph). That may be why the guy at my LFS told me not to use it if it bubbles. I'm sorry if my info was misleading. I've just gone by this theory for some time now. Thank you for clarifying it :)

I am no Rock expert but DO NOT Boil rocks!

there could be a gas buildup inside that when boiled causes the rock to explode.

Now, from what I have read on here, you can pour boiling water over the rocks. You can brush them off with a clean brush, you can pout vinegar or Peroxide (that last might not be correct) and see if it bubbles to know if it is inert or fine for tanks.

That's what I meant, I'm no expert. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah. I think your post read correctly but after it was asked, I figure nobody wanted a big bang.

Back
Top Bottom