Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2003, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cichlid Tank...I think it'll be allright

I started a 29 gal Cichlid tank with a pair of Convicts and a pair of Jewels a few months ago. Both pairs have spawned (Convicts twice) and I haven't had any fighting problems (I was warned that the Jewels wouldn't stand a chance with the Cons). Of course the parent fish became more aggressive once their fry were around, but nothing major. Can I now safely assume everything should be OK with these guys, or will their aggression increase with each batch of fry?

Old 12-11-2003, 10:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its a roll of the dice. In my opinion as the fish get older they will get more aggressive. Cichlids understand this more than we do and its the life they lead. As long as size is remains = and everyone can defend themselves. watch for the odd man out hiding alot!

Old 12-11-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
How big are we talking? A 1 in convict is a lot less aggressive than a full grown 6in convict, I would imagine. I believe the convicts will out grow the jewels by at least an inch, maybe two for the male.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I think the fish you have are going to quickly outgrow that tank. One pair alone would be better in a 29 gal. You are going to have to do something with the fry, especially when it comes to convicts, since getting them to breed is not the problem, but it is getting them to stop!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
Two words: Oscar Food :P
Old 12-11-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Two words: Oscar Food
Too true. It was hard at first, but I am finally able to feed fry to my kribs and my angel, and it is really excellent food for them to have occasionally. I did not realize how attached I would get to those millions of black molly babies! Well, I'm over it....
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Getting rid of the fry is not a problem. My African dwarf frog loves hunting them down (its actually pretty fun to watch), and mollies will eat just about anything. But as for the size of the Convicts they are about 4 inches and the Jewels are 3-4 inches. When they do try to show dominance neither pair will back down, and it basically is just a staring contest...with some flared gills.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the 29 gal tank is probably too small. i have a pair of full grown convicts and when they spawn they get nasty. i have to keep them alone in a 55, or they kill every thing else in the tank.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My friends male convict is much bigger and he charges just about everything there is. That being said he used to breed him in a 30 gallon with other cichlid present. But eventually the guy just got nastier and nastier. Even in the 55 with other cichlids present the male got so frustrated he killed his mate. Convicts can be nasty fish.

Tags
cichlid, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com