Cichlid tank progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a 46 gallon bowfront tank a couple days ago and I was going to do this when I first got it but I didn't have any time , so I'm doing it now :D

Here is the tank when I first got it -
image-2168950615.jpg

Here's the tank the day after cleaned with vinegar and water -
image-600621280.jpg

And here's the tank today -
image-3253342958.jpg

I washed out the vinegar and did a water test and it got an A+ !

Now I just have to get some decor and the fish :D

If you want to follow me along my very first tank over 3 gallons ( betta tanks ) lol than go ahead and sub to it , and also feel free to ask me any questions you want to .

How are you cycling it? What is the planned filtration? What stocking do you have in mind?

How are you cycling it? What is the planned filtration? What stocking do you have in mind?

I'm not going to cycle it , I don't have the stuff for it and anyways my mom won't let me , please don't ask or bother me about that lol .

the filtration is 2 penguin bio wheel filters , one is a 330 and the smaller one is unknown ( I got the tank with everything from Craigslist lol ) .

And I was thinking of doing something like this

8 demasoni cichlid

Yellow lab cichlid

Red peacock cichlid

Yellow tall acei

Venustus cichlid

4F/1M kenyi cichlids

Bristle nose pleco

This guy on insta said that it would workout , but of course 1-3 would die cause that's just cichlids lol , should I do less demasonis ? Please don't give me problems about my stocking plan , this is my first cichlid tank lol .

Well just know that fish are going to suffer and likely die if you don't cycle it. You just need a $3 gallon of plain ammonia and wait to cycle it.

You can cycle with fish, without killing them all. That is a big assumption on your part. It is possible to do it with minimal stress to the fish, but where most people go wrong is starting with way too many fish. A small fish load is a must for an easy fish in cycle.

OP, your stock list (most of all the venustus, which grows far too large for your tank) is not appropriate for a 3 foot tank. Most folks recommend a minimum of 55 gallons for an Mbuna tank due to their aggression.

Please understand that people here are going to ask questions about your cycling method, because it is the most important part of setting up your tank. It is a public forum and people have the right to ask.

If you're not interested in cycling with ammonia, you can cycle with a raw shrimp from the grocery store. This is the easiest way to fishless cycle imo.

Last edited:
You can cycle with fish, without killing them all. That is a big assumption on your part. It is possible to do it with minimal stress to the fish, but where most people go wrong is starting with way too many fish. A small fish load is a must for an easy fish in cycle. OP, your stock list (most of all the venustus, which grows far too large for your tank) is not appropriate for a 3 foot tank. Most folks recommend a minimum of 55 gallons for an Mbuna tank due to their aggression. Please understand that people here are going to ask questions about your cycling method, because it is the most important part of setting up your tank. It is a public forum and people have the right to ask. If you're not interested in cycling with ammonia, you can cycle with a raw shrimp from the grocery store. This is the easiest way to fishless cycle imo.

Okay thank you :)

Checkout fishless cycle on the internet, explains a really simple way to do it with ammonia. It's just so much easier to cycle a tank without fish. You will have to be constantly testing, and changing water if not. Also the peacock probably isn't the best idea, mbunas are pretty aggressive, and may pick on the peacock pretty badly, same with the bn pleco, he is a sitting target.

And all those questions above about am I going to cycle my tank is why I never wrote anything else because if one person asks if I am going to cycle the tank just read it you don't have to ask it again

I think you'll feel a lot more successful and happier if you cycle your tank. In my very first tank, i didnt cycle and just put fish in, and i just lost tons of fish and was very discouraged. It was sad, and i wasted a lot of money too.
I think it'll be better for you to just spend a little more money, and cycle the tank. Many LFS's will also test your water for you for free too if you bring some in and they'll tell you if your tanks are ready for fish.

I'm not going to cycle it , I don't have the stuff for it and anyways my mom won't let me , please don't ask or bother me about that lol .

the filtration is 2 penguin bio wheel filters , one is a 330 and the smaller one is unknown ( I got the tank with everything from Craigslist lol ) .

And I was thinking of doing something like this

8 demasoni cichlid

Yellow lab cichlid

Red peacock cichlid

Yellow tall acei

Venustus cichlid

4F/1M kenyi cichlids

Bristle nose pleco

This guy on insta said that it would workout , but of course 1-3 would die cause that's just cichlids lol , should I do less demasonis ? Please don't give me problems about my stocking plan , this is my first cichlid tank lol .

Don't want to give you problems on your stock, but like what was said mbuna are too aggressive for your size tank, you may be able to get away with the demasoni because they stay small but are super aggressive also. The labs may also work but I don't think the rest would work based on size and aggression.

Don't want to give you problems on your stock, but like what was said mbuna are too aggressive for your size tank, you may be able to get away with the demasoni because they stay small but are super aggressive also. The labs may also work but I don't think the rest would work based on size and aggression.

Lol I already got the stock but I didn't get that stock XD

So what did you end up getting?

1 Electric yellow

1 Auratus

1 kenyi

1 red zebra

They are all under 2" right now

There was 2 clown loaches but sadly they passed away from the ick in the tank right now

Once the ick is gone I plan on getting 4 more fish for the tank I was thinking :

1 fire mouth ?

1 bristle nose Plecos ?

1 upside down catfish ?

And 1 blood parrot ?

Please don't be mean or rude about me thinking about putting those fish with them if it won't work out than just tell but be nice about it please :) and I am new to stocking tanks lol

I think you need to choose a type of tank... African Rift or SA/CA. Mixing them never works long term from what I've seen.

One of the toughest parts of stocking a tank is planning for the adult size of fish.

Back
Top Bottom