Cichlid verification needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone. I just picked up 4 cichlids, from my local shop that I have been dealing with for a long time and I just picked up what were labeled as Jack Dempseys. Based on coloration im assuming I have two males and two females. I know they do get bigger and I am in the works of expanding my 55 to something larger. I was hoping someone could either verify or identify what I picked up. I'll try to get a Better picture if this one is not good. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421357698.316395.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say the two in the pic are female jack dempseys

That's what I was thinking, I have two other ones who have identical markings but are a lot darker almost a black. It was fun picking them up, the owner couldn't catch them for almost 20 minutes so I let him take a break and 15 minutes later I took a shot at it and caught all 4 in 5 minutes. Needless to say he told me he hates me

Can I see a pic of the other two do you know they are males? And how big of a tank are you getting

Here's one of the suspected males. The second picture is one of the females I assume. They tend to hide on me. Im looking at 75 gallon. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421369329.577264.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421369341.376915.jpg

A jack dempsey can be aggressive by itself so a pair would be dangerous I would think about taking one of the males out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421376508.698423.jpg

This is my female JD

A jack dempsey can be aggressive by itself so a pair would be dangerous I would think about taking one of the males out.

A pair would be perfectly fine, Jacks are pretty mild mannered as far as Centrals are concerned.

Wow that's a beauty of a female jack. Can't wait til mine grow more

4 of them together just sounded bad to me

My Female JD

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1421383041343.jpg
    1421383041343.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 64
Can I'm not an expert by any means but it looks like a make to me as the spangling on the lower jaw is blotched and not full like my female

Oh I know in a 55 is pushing it that's why I'm upgrading to a larger tank. I've done a good amount of research and I don't intend on forcing a larger breed to share a smaller space. Especially one that gets territorial

Can I'm not an expert by any means but it looks like a make to me as the spangling on the lower jaw is blotched and not full like my female

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app[/
QUOTE]

You think mine is a male?

Just from what it looks like to me. Throw another thread up and say male or female.

I've done that before everyone said female I think that area was just a little light in that pic. I was looking at old pics and there was more blue in them, but I thought males didn't have any blue in that area they normally only have the dots that stop at eye level

I've done that before everyone said female I think that area was just a little light in that pic. I was looking at old pics and there was more blue in them, but I thought males didn't have any blue in that area they normally only have the dots that stop at eye level

Take them out and vent them, then you'll know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom