Cichlid with guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toad

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may be impossible to do but I'm looking to find a cichlid that could work in a 30g with guppies. I want something that would 'trim' the fry down but leave the adults alone and not bother my khulis either.

I was looking at laetacara curviceps but not sure if that would be a good fit, unless maybe I get a lone one and not a pair like I had originally thought about. Any ideas? I could be tempted by a different kind of fish but I'm very partial to cichlids.

I had Rams before, didn't really have much luck with them :/ a little too fragile for me

For sure on cleithracara maronii, the keyhole cichlid.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I tried That Fish Place and they have no idea when or if they'll be getting any keyholes in, so in going to try petsmart and some other pet place and see if they have them, if not would the curviceps work? And should it be a single one or would a pair be ok (on either fish)?

My local petco has tiny little keyhole cichlids out the wazoo. I think a pair of curviceps would work

Wow so yeah, petsmart and pet supplies plus don't have any keyholes either. Going to check one or two other places but it probably is going to be the curviceps now.

Wow so yeah, petsmart and pet supplies plus don't have any keyholes either. Going to check one or two other places but it probably is going to be the curviceps now.

Just wondering are you in Buffalo?

No, PA. It's not a huge deal, it just kinda surprised me that for a pretty mellow sounding cichlid they seem so hard to find around here

Angelfish. They would trim down the fry and leave the fully mature guppies alone. Just buy a small quarter sized angelfish so they can grow up with the guppies to help them not perceive them as food.

Idk, I tried adding young rosy barbs to the tank and the angelfish got them. I guess this is adding new fish though.

I honestly don't know if there is enough comfortable swimming space for an angel in the tank :/

I have a bunch of guppies (mostly fry atm) 5 khuli's, a BN and a clown pleco, but I have two pieces of driftwood in the tank, one of which pretty much cuts the tank in half in the middle

This is from the front ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430401941.824235.jpg

And this is from the side
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430402000.358528.jpg

I think you could get away with 1. Just make sure to keep up on your water changes. And overfilter the tank.

When you say you didn't have luck with Rams did you try German or Bolivian? Bolivians are much less sensitive than German so they might be an option. Usually around 3-4$ at petsmart

Welp went that TFP and of course since I went there to actually BUY the curviceps, they didn't have any :(
Going to try again next time I'm out that way, my brother and I have a ton of guppies to sort through and take there anyways. This is starting to turn into my unicorn fish...

Back
Top Bottom