Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunterr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about an African cichlid tank. What kind of other fish can go with African cichlids? Also, I'm thinking about getting peacock cichlids. Do they *need* sand? I currently have dime sized rocks as substrate and don't want to change.

I am thinking about an African cichlid tank. What kind of other fish can go with African cichlids? Also, I'm thinking about getting peacock cichlids. Do they *need* sand? I currently have dime sized rocks as substrate and don't want to change.

Peacocks don't necessarily need sand. They would enjoy it and it's not the nitrate factory that gravel is. As for fish some species of catfish anything else will most likely get shredded

Peacocks don't necessarily need sand. They would enjoy it and it's not the nitrate factory that gravel is. As for fish some species of catfish anything else will most likely get shredded
Alright, I kind of figured considering Africans were so violent. And that's very good to hear about the peacocks as i really want some!! Thanks!

What size tank do You have for them? Also try to make sure you get 1male to 2 female ratio so males don't start killing one another

Last edited:
What size tank do You have for them? Also try to make sure you get 1male to 2 female ratio so males don't start killing one another

can you do an all male tank? is that good or bad?
how many species of each kind should you have?
per the guide, one could get about 15-20 in a 90g tank.
could I put like 5 species and 4 of each?

can you do an all male tank?
Yes
is that good or bad?
As long as you don't have multiple of each species it usually works out.
Just one, maybe two but only if your prepared to lose one.
I would say stay closer to 15, 90 Is still only four feet wide.

can you do an all male tank?
Yes
is that good or bad?
As long as you don't have multiple of each species it usually works out.
Just one, maybe two but only if your prepared to lose one.
I would say stay closer to 15, 90 Is still only four feet wide.

First, thanks for the response.
My tank is 5ft. does that let me go to about 20 fish (all under 6 inch)?
can I do 4 fishes of 5 species? or
5 fishes of 4 species? or
can I do less fish of a species and introduce more species?

what did you mean about losing one? Maybe for each species I should make sure to have a female?

First, thanks for the response. My tank is 5ft. does that let me go to about 20 fish (all under 6 inch)? can I do 4 fishes of 5 species? or 5 fishes of 4 species? or can I do less fish of a species and introduce more species? what did you mean about losing one? Maybe for each species I should make sure to have a female?
20-25 would work depending on actual tank size and filtration. If you go with multiple individuals of a species you going to need 3 females for every male IMO. By losing one I mean killing each other

Back
Top Bottom