Cichlid's (African)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a malawi/mbuna tank setup and the water and tank is perfect.
The P.H. is 7.8. Well any way the tank size is 33 gal. I know I will be pushing my luck here but I want to put two species of cichlids in the same tank. I have seen it be done, and the fish have been fine. I plan on having 6 yellow labs. They are approximatly

--------------------------------

This big (max) and I also want another species in there that will be also easy to breed but will live fine with the yellow labs. Please could you give me your suggestions and approximate price range 8) Or even post an image of the fish.

Thank you. :D :D

I like the idea of adding some Pseudotropheus demasoni.

They are not very aggressive just like the yellow labs. I think they would go well together. :lol:

Just so that you know, Yellow Labs get bigger than that when they are full grown. Mine are larger than that now. About 3 1/2 or so. And I have seen them as long as 5 inches.

Everything that I have read (have not personally kept) says that the Pseudotropheus Demasoni is between aggressive to highly aggressive. You might want to take a look at some of the Cynotilapia species. Most of these stay between 3 to 4 inches max, and do have the mildly aggressive temperament like the yellow labs.

If you don't mind jumping lakes to Lake Tanganyika... look into some of the shell dweller species like the Lamprologus Multifasciatus. Mine will not stop breeding (currently 4 batches of fry in the tank), are real easy to keep, and will do great on your sand substrate. The males max out at 2 inches while the females are 3/4 to 1 inch. Just be sure to give them plenty of shells to live in.

Those are Kenyi's. Very nice looking fish. The only issue you are going to run into is tank size. Especially if you are going to breed. I have two of the Kenyi's and they are growing pretty quickly. You can mix African's, thats not the problem. It's just the tank size. With 6 Yellow Labs, you are maxed out.

Could I have 6 yellow labs and about 4 Pseudotropheus Acei. I know that these go well together and have personally seen them both together in a tank about my size ?
Please reply a.s.a.p and also how much do they cost for small ones in the UK (about)?

That's 10 fish in a 33 gal tank. Which after displacement, you are actually looking at a 30 gal tank. They would be fine while they are juvi's, but they will quickly outgrow the tank. You could keep 4 Acei's or the 5 or 6 Labs. Can't help with the price in the UK. But small Acei's here are $15 US.

No, it's not a Kenyi. It's a Neolamprologus Tretocephalus. One of my favorite species that I currently keep. They get to be about 6 inches as adults. Everything that I have read has said that they are highly agressive, but I have not seen this behaivor yet and mine are about a year old. A friend has had a pair of them also for about 4 years now and his are not that aggressive either. They are probably a little too large for a 33 gallon tank though.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1639

Thanx for the help every one. I will probably get the 6 yellow labs and maybe the 4 Pseudotropheus Acei. And keep a close eye on growth rate and water conditions. Keeping an eye on the water conditions should be no problem as I do a water check weekly, along with my water change. 8) As soon there is a problem I will get rid of some of them obvo. :(

If your really planning on breeding them the yellow labs will not be so calm when they have babbies! your Pseudotropheus Acei could be in trouble fast!!! not to mention there isnt any room left for the 4 Pseudotropheus Acei in that sized tank.. if you are really intrested in getting more africans in the tank.. buy a 75 gallon tank!!! LOL

That's my same thought GM. A 30 gal tank just doesn't provide enough space for all of those fish, plus fry.

I was assuming he would be taking the holding mother out and put her into her own tank.. 8O... by the way labs get 5-6" long... a 15-20 gallon would be fine for a isolation tank.. Ive read on some really rare occations that some mothbreewing females will eat while holding... this is very rare in my oppinion.. so if she's not eating it might be best to get her out of the tank.. considering how small it is..

I have thought about it alot, and you guys are right its just that I am getting small ones because of the price lol :oops: . Its hard being intereste din fish when u are only 16 years old lol. Its an expensive hobby. Any way I am most likely just gunna stick to the yellow labs its just at the moment they are so small the tank will look rubish. I also thought that these fish went well together and more fish means less fights in malawi and also the tank is fully mature i.e. one year old. 8)

You will be supprised how quickly your fish will reach full size when you properly take care of them steven.. and as Ive said before you really need to get medium sized fish so that you can identify wich ones are males and wich are females.. the difference in price might be 2 or 3 fold but it will make an enormus difference in your sucess... if you get two males your not going to be sucessfull in this smallish tank.. you will have dead cheaper fish.. think about the cost of setting up the aquarium...................... now think is it worth it to spend all that money on tank, filtration, heat, lid, lights and then short change yourself with getting the wrong fish? It just doesnt make any sence in the grand scheme of things.. thats all.. its hard to look at it in a miro-econimic light but luckly for you I studied it so I can give you this advise.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hope This Helps.. :mrgreen:

Thanx alot I will take your advise and only purchase ones that can be sexed. I am going to get them tomorow 8) . What can I do to help them grow. I normally do a 25% water change weekly and feed daily foods such as bloodworm, daphinia, brine shrimp, prawns, muscles, flake, earthworms ?

BTW what should the ratio be 1 male to 5 females ....

What if the male is not interested in the females lol :lol:

thats the one ..... I gues a pair of cuckoo cats would be out the question then lol :lol:

I'd get the larger fish that way they can be sexed. Get 1 male and the rest female. You shouldn't have any problems with the male not being "interested". :D The Acei's are beautiful fish. Down the road you can get yourself a 55 or larger tank and have the Acei's and Electric Blues. But since you are wanting to breed them, stick to a species only tank, especially since its only 30 gal.

Back
Top Bottom