Cichlids and aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
We know how overcrowding an African tank works in cutting down aggression and I'm very familiar with the African cichlids and their behavior.
Now when it comes to the Amazon cichlids, I'm wondering if it could work the same way by overstocking them? I know some can grow very large but taking that into consideration and the fact that a bigger tank will be needed, would the overstocking theory work?

It depends on the specific species in question. Many of them are more peaceful to begin with.

Since a lot of them are larger, overstocking becomes difficult in that you would need a huge tank to effectively overstock.

The biggest issue tends to be that these cichlids at typically better parents than many of the rift lake cichlids. So when they spawn, they will viciously defend whatever territory they decide they need to protect their young.

Interesting, thanks for answering.
Let's say, smaller cichlids... I've had many discus in a tank with no problem, how about rams, I currently have 4 n a 40 gallon for almost two years and no problems, what if I were to add another 4?

Another example, angels, I would love to have a tank full of them, I've only kept no more than 3 the time, sometimes that has worked, other times a disaster but would adding more help? Say a tank with 7 or 8?

Discuss can be kept in groups.

Angelfish and M. Ramirez are difficult to judge. It will mostly depend on how many pairs you get they are typically not great parents but will still get defensive when they spawn. With angels a good rule of thumb is two pair in a 4ft 75g tank. Can you have more, sure. Sometimes it will work and other times not. Just depends on the individuals involved and also the layout of the tank.

M. Altispinosus(Bolivian Ram) tends to do fine in groups. It is also primarily a bottom dwelling fish as opposed to M. Ramirezi which tends to spend more time in the middle.

Overstocking doesn't work with new world cichlids even though they are both called cichlids they are very different fish and live differently in the wild. Over stocking new world cichlids would lead to illness stress and death. You can have groups of dwarf cichlids but not overstocked to the point mbuna or peacocks are. For example I have a group of 5 Honduran red points in a 75. I had a group of 6 Fire mouths that I narrowed down to a pair. they did well in groups but I would keep a group of more aggressive new worlds.

In my own opinion you would also loose out on the best trait of New world cichlids and that is there personality. There personalities really shine in under-stocked tanks. I have mine under-stocked and could not be happier. Hope this helps

I was referring to Bolivian Rams.

Yes, angels always been a challenge keeping together as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom