Cichlids and bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also bass get huge, youde need a massive tank. The cichlids would be lunch too, depending on which type.

Are we talking a bass you would catch fishing? Its somewhat possible if you grow out your cichlids first. Perhaps some of the larger compressiceps or maybe even oscars. You would need a tank size of at least 160 to make it work though I think.

I wouldn't really agree with mixing but it couldn't be possible.

Bass are a cold water species, and shouldn't be kept with Cichlids

What about peacock bass which orginate from South America? Which are warm water species that are in the Cichlidae family(yes they're cichlids). More information is needed prior to providing a answer.

Last edited:
What about peacock bass which orginate from South America? Which are warm water species that are in the Cichlidae family(yes they're cichlids). More information is needed prior to providing a answer.

+1. I was thinking peacock bass as well could be a candidate if you really want bass.

Peacock would need a huge tank, at least 300 gallons

It would depend on which peacock bass you are talking about. Speckled Peacocks in the Amazon grow to a reported 40 lbs while the Butterfly tops out at about 15- 18 lbs.
On a separate note, in many S. Florida canals, Butterfly Peacocks live harmonously with many transplanted cichlids like J. Dempsey, Oscar and C. Managuense. While not the same as in a tank, it's interesting because in some fish, they destroy other species and irradicate them from an area. This is obviously not the case here.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom