cichlids & oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demon6869

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what will happen if you mix south american cichlids and African cichlids i was told the one i put with my oscar was a south american one the more i look at it its got the looks of a Pseudotropheus elongatus was in a tank of mixed cichlids and a oscar in the tank at the lfs
thanks
jeff
:fish1:

Mixing africans and others isnt a great move. They have different requirements across the board. You are also looking at a possible aggression nightmare depending on the africans. How big is your tank?

Oscars may look mean but they are huge babies in terms of aggression. The hyper aggressive mbuna will take all of the food and stress the Oscar to the point of sickness or death. Their diet is different but can be overcome with NLS. I think the biggest issue is going to be aggression, so it's best to stick with one continent.

ya i kinda figured that out bout them being mixed i got a 55 gallon and its just the oscar and the other fish my oscar is bout 6 inch and the other is bout 4 if i dont have another tank to move anything any suggestions should i get another Pseudotropheus elongatus since they need to be in schools

That 55g is going to be the bare minimum to hold a Oscar. They can foul up your water quality quick in that tank. I would rehome the african and concentrate on your oscars health.

Back
Top Bottom