Cichlids and sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady_Alia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got an mbuna tank and my mother wants to put a shark in it.

Questions:
1. Can I put a shark in with mbuna?
2. If so, what kind?
3. Would putting a shark in with mbuna change the way I feed them?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

I've got an mbuna tank and my mother wants to put a shark in it.

Questions:
1. Can I put a shark in with mbuna?
2. If so, what kind?
3. Would putting a shark in with mbuna change the way I feed them?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Hi Lady! I have a red tail shark and a tri color shark with no issues. had them from the start. No problems to report.(y)

They eat the same food i feed my cichlids, NLS pellets, the red tail eats the algea also...

Convict2161 said:
Hi Lady! I have a red tail shark and a tri color shark with no issues. had them from the start. No problems to report.(y)

They eat the same food i feed my cichlids, NLS pellets, the red tail eats the algea also...

Hiya Convict! Very cool, thanks. I'm not quite sure why she wants one but she sure does!!

Convict2161 said:
Go for it!!

I probably will. I'm thinking a bala, they're kinda neat looking. It's up to her though, it's her tank, I just take care of it lol

I probably will. I'm thinking a bala, they're kinda neat looking. It's up to her though, it's her tank, I just take care of it lol

I hear ya! My wife wanted a puffer tank and who do you think takes care of it? lol! She just enjoys watching it :lol:

Convict2161 said:
I hear ya! My wife wanted a puffer tank and who do you think takes care of it? lol! She just enjoys watching it :lol:

I feel ya! Mom now has 2 tanks on her bedroom but when there's a problem she comes running to me! lol

For what its worth, Huckit told me kept a single rainbow shark in each of his tanks. I think they are supposed to be a little less aggressive than rts also. Once I get my other tanks set up and re arrange the stock in my show tank I plan to add one.

Bala sharks are schooling fish that grow too large for most home aquariums, and aside from the water chemistry aren't suitable to mix with African cichlids in general.
Redtail or rainbow sharks are a better fit for a 4-6' tank and territorial by nature when they mature, same as cichlids.

toddnbecka said:
Bala sharks are schooling fish that grow too large for most home aquariums, and aside from the water chemistry aren't suitable to mix with African cichlids in general.
Redtail or rainbow sharks are a better fit for a 4-6' tank and territorial by nature when they mature, same as cichlids.

From what I've been reading it seems that red tail sharks and rainbow sharks are the same thing....?

They basically are... But red tailed shakrs are black with just a red tail.... rainbow sharks are black with all red fins.

Ya, they're the same family of carp from Asia. Also closely related to the black shark, looks the same except no red fins.

Back
Top Bottom