Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ADCISCO Send a message via Yahoo to ADCISCO
Cichlids and tank size

Ok guys I am now down to 6 cichlids! The next question would be is a 29 gallon tank big enough for the 6. They are in a 10 right now and it is kind of crazy...I know that they shouldnt be but I have no choice at the moment I still havent gotten my 55 gallon tank. I have plenty of rock and plants for the tank and plenty of hiding spots. Do you think it would work. I only have one fish that is a bad bully....one that kind of starts after he starts but quits fast when the tables are turned on him. So....should I make it a 29 gallon?

Old 09-21-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are cichs and there are cichs, what sor of cichs are yours. Jeff
Old 09-21-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I do believe these are African meanies! You need to move them up, but maybe leave the bully in the smaller tank for now.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had 6 african in my 20g for about a month and there wasnt any problems....but mine werent agressive to any fish...I had to get rid of them tho cause tank cracked and had no where to keep them until i bought a new 1.....still regret that 2 years later

55Gallon
1 Pleco
2 Algae Eaters
1 Red Tailed Shark
1 Albino Red Tailed Shark
1 White Tailed Shark
1 Gold Gourami
3 Sunset Gourami's
1 Cory Cat
6 Tiger Barbs
2 Green Tiger Barbs
1 Serpae Tetra
2 Cherry Barbs
RIP Gino the Gold Gourami
nfeagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Assuming they are typical african cichlids a 29 gallon is not going to be big enough once they are full grown. I would definitely recommend going to a 55 gallon. I had 6 africans in a 29 and isolated an aggresive in a 10 and they outgrew it in about a year. Now I have all 7 in my 55 and everything is great. If you have the chance just upgrade to a 55. Whatever happens though definitely get them out of the 10 gallon before you start to get some deaths.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
IME--6 mbuna in a 30, war broke out after they started maturing, now 1 mbuna in a 10 and a 30 gal planted tank with no mbuna.

wouldn't recommend 6 in a 29.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

i was reading somewhere....read alot of websites and lose track sometimes....that if u have aggresive cichlids it can help to overstock a little because it keeps them from being territorial...have not tried it myself and if anyone knows about it plz post and agree or correct me

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com