cichlids cichlids cichlids!! but what are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, just try sneaking them in the net. We usually have a big 12 inch net in one hand and a 4 inch net in the other. We chase with the 4 inch and trap in the 12. LOL It's quite comical to watch James do it because he's shorter than I am so his shoulders are in the water. But when I do it we end up with about 5 gal of water on the floor. The Africans like to nibble on my arms which freaks me out. LOL Hence the water OUT of the tank.

Our peacock started breeding at about 3 or 4 inches. I thought she was way too small, but five batches of fry later, she is still breeding. The Cobalts were about 4 inches when they started.

Do people really stick air tubing in the mouths and suck out the fry? That just doesn't seem natural.

it really would be that bad. they arnt shoving it down there throat but just sitting it in there mousth enought to keept it open and then by sucking it makes all the fish go into the tube. it might actually be easier and safe to get a turkey baster and put that in their mout thn just suck and they would all get sucked up. some people are just weird to lol

We just put slight pressure on the sides of the mouth. The peacock had no resistance to letting us open her mouth and have them swim out. The Cobalt basically did it for us. I guess I didn't understand the poster when he said that he put a piece of tubing in her mouth. I thought that he meant that he sucked the fry out with it. I couldn't imagine putting anything foreign in my fish mouths. Oh well. :D

like i said some people are just weird. and u didnt mis understand him. he puts the peice of tubing in the fishes mouth and then sucks on it like a siphon till they are in the tube then blows them out in the tank then he outs the tube back in and sucks out more untill they are all gone. it seems a little over the top but i guess if u are breeding constantly and selling then fry then this might be a very good method. i dont like it personally and have aways believed in narural method of letting them do it themselves. bu then again i am thinking about giving my guppies ageltle squeez to get the babies started lol. she is soo rediculusly huge and i think she is holding them because she is in a breeder box.

ack, yeah I meant plexiglass.. Lexan is aircraft grade plastic... work on the brain..

lol hey if u have access to lexan why not use it? my dad is the supervising person for a maintnence crew and they make alot of guards for the machines and the cut offs of the plexiglas are big enough to make covers. i get 90% of the stuff i need from him when it comes to building things. i build my entire stand out of the scraps that his works throws away lol. and it is all in perfect condition. what fish did u end up getting for your 55 rlebeau? it just says starter fish.

it's still cycling. I plan on getting cichlids. Probably Mbunas. The starters are just the survivors of my leaking 30g. I've got to get it repaired or find them a new home. I've got a new home for my pleco.

I'm taking my time selecting the new fish.

i spend about 6 months selecting my fish very carefully but then i got to the fish store and they had so many others and then i got confused and then i ended up with an entirely different group of fish lol. but then again u always change your mind once u get to the store.and also dont be fooled by what the cichlids look like when they are little. i was looking at one tank and the guy asked me why i didnt want any from there and i said that they were grey and dull then he pointed a fully grown version of the same fish out and voila it was neon blue and yellow. what i am trying to say is ask for peacocks lol. they are not very expensive when they are little but in about a year from buying them u will have some very vibranty coloured fish. i also reccomend cobalts. i just got 2 of them lol as i am sure u have read in this post and they are very stunning in the aquarium.

well, I NOTICED roughly two weeks ago, but by that time her pouch was already fairly full. Either way she spit today, though the babies don't seem nearly so large as yours FF. But then the momma in your picture looks huge compared to mine...i suppose she was forced to spit earlier. I tried to count them, looks like about 10 or so. Should I start in with the brine shrimp ASAP?

BABY Brine Shrimp. Regular brine shrimp is too big for them to eat. Most lfs carry baby brine. Don't let them talk you into Betta food, it's not the same thing. Betta food is larger than the baby brine.

Most of the time the baby brine is frozen. Try getting it that way. And remember, a little bit goes a long way wiht baby brine.

well of course baby brine shrimp...i just figured that was a given. I got some eggs down in the fridge. was asking if I should start up the hatchery now or wait a bit

LOL. Sorry for the confusion. I have no clue how long they take to hatch. But you'll want to feed small portions about 4 times a day.

do they need baby brine shrimp ir are the ok with crushed flakes? i have breed may guppies and always just crushed up flake really fine for them. how much is he baby brine shrimp? i am getting soo excited for when mine breed lol. i just need to clear our my 10 gallon of all the guppy and danio fry so i can raise some cichlids.

I got a pretty big container of it for like...$20. I think for me it'll basically be a lifetime supply though, as 1/4tsp makes a huge number of brine shrimp.

Congrats JRP !!
crushed flakes are good, but instead of crushing them, take a pinch and wet it in the water, then grind it up into a paste inbetween your fingers and let it go in the water. It's alot finer this way and already softened for them.
when they get bigger(in a week or so) I get 2 spoons and crush pellets in between them into a powder. Even if the pieces are to big they will wait untill they are softened and will just pick at them.
my first maingy was 2 1/2 inch when she spat, and I know it wasn't her first batch.
lots of food and lots of water changes, you'll be suprised how fast they grow!!
Good luck with the youngens!

Matt

I bought a package of those baby brine shrimp frozen cubes. It was something like $4. It is so concentrated that the last pack we had to throw away before we used it all. It started to look a little questionable in color so to be safe we tossed it. We've hda the same package for about a month and a half and have only used 5 or 6 cubes. Baby brine is best for small fry. But after a while crushed flake will work.

Back
Top Bottom