Cichlids + Crayfish..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
So there's a local selling blue crayfish 1.5"-2" for $10 and I wanted to know since I'm going with sand substrate, should I get one for the feeding leftovers on the sand? How do they cope with cichlids? It will be a 55gal tank with plenty of caves and hiding spots, what do they eat? Thanks in advance guys!

In my experience, they got along fine, but it will also depend on the cichlids and how big they are.

Also, if you're doing live plants, I wouldn't do the crayfish. I had crays in my 120 w/ JDs and firemouths, they got along fine, but the crays mowed through my plants like they were at an all you can eat salad buffet.

In my experience, they got along fine, but it will also depend on the cichlids and how big they are.

Also, if you're doing live plants, I wouldn't do the crayfish. I had crays in my 120 w/ JDs and firemouths, they got along fine, but the crays mowed through my plants like they were at an all you can eat salad buffet.

Also, the crawfish will be very vulnerable when it molts.

Well I don't do live plants, I can barely care for my wife's garden when she's working lol

So is a blue crayfish a good one to have?

Do they actually clean up well?

I have mostly mbuna and cobue in my tank.

Crayfish are scavengers and will feed on dead fish in the tank but they are not something to rely on for control.

Crayfish are scavengers and will feed on dead fish in the tank but they are not something to rely on for control.

Rely on for control? Ill be doing regular cleanings I was just inquiring in the level of cleaning they do, i.e. small food, large food, plants, feces, etc

Usually they make a bigger mess lol. They will eat any food but rip it apart. They also can be fish killers

That's the first thing I thought of, I have demasonites in my tank and they're tiny lol maybe 1" ok well I guess i cant have one, it wouldve been cool though.

Usually they make a bigger mess lol. They will eat any food but rip it apart. They also can be fish killers

For me, they have only managed to kill one of my tetras that got hurt and was swimming close to the gravel. Crayfish also don't create a large amount of feces. Normal water changes will be enough. Crayfish will definitely eat anything. I usually feed them only turtle sticks and koi food pellets.

That's the first thing I thought of, I have demasonites in my tank and they're tiny lol maybe 1" ok well I guess i cant have one, it wouldve been cool though.

As long as the cichlids are somewhat aggressive the crayfish will not attack it unless the crayfish is being underfed. My 4" crayfish got freaked out by my Chinese algae eater. Lol

i dont have any bottm feeders but i do have 4 little 1" demansoni in my tank that like the bottom caves in my tank, but that would be the only concern. it would be a blue crayfish, how big do they get..?

i dont have any bottm feeders but i do have 4 little 1" demansoni in my tank that like the bottom caves in my tank, but that would be the only concern. it would be a blue crayfish, how big do they get..?

They usually max out at 3".

so a blue cray would be a good choice for a 55gal..? how about food, what do they eat? sinking food..?

Yes. I feed them sinking shrimp pellets, turtle sticks, and koi sticks. All food must be sinking or else they can't find it.
I keep 7 crays in a 20 gal.

Back
Top Bottom