Cichlids for 30H?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kribensis are fun, angelfish are also a nice cichlid and a pair would do well in a 30 gallon high.

Don't Kribensis and convicts get too large for a 30 H. Are we talking about 1 or 2, more would be pushing it? I thought these cichlids destroy plants? Can the 2 species be kept together?

convicts get to about 6 inches and Kribs are approximatly 4-5 inches as adults. I believe kribs have the need for space but a 30 gallon devoted to a pair should be fine. I have no experience with convicts though.

As for plants, there are many successful keeps of cichlids AND plants in the same tank. :D The larger african cichlids like to help "rearrange" a planted tank.

There are some African rift lake cichlids that would work in a 30 high, but if you have soft, acidic tap water you might want to stick with kribensis or other Pelvicachromis species. What about keyhole cichlids?

A pair of Kribensis would work very well in a 30 gallon. I prefer not keeping anything else with my Kribensis, even bottom dwellers.

And they will up root and destroy some plants and at the moment I can't remember any of their names. :oops:

FawnN said:
A pair of Kribensis would work very well in a 30 gallon. I prefer not keeping anything else with my Kribensis, even bottom dwellers.

That is the truth, and I am sure it applies to other Pelvicachromis. It is tempting to want to fill out the tank a little but when a pair forms these fish mean business and nobody is safe. It is really amazing to watch! I think observing spawning behaviors is a huge part of the appeal of keeping cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom